correct exposure

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im reading bryan petersons book, understanding exposure. In the first few pages he uses an example ....now im quite new to full manual mode. He states ' use a subject in a shady area and focus on the subject leaving aperture at 5.6, adjust shutter speed until the viewfinder shows a 'correct' exposure'
So what is meant by correct, does he mean with the shutter set so the viewfinder is in the middle of the exposure meter, neither plus or minus?
thx

Yes,
he means so the meter does not read over or under exposed.

I've read that book...it is excellent.

thanks dave, now im trying to get to grips with ISO, he has written the book very well....so far!

I actually found Peterson's book to be lacking a good discussion of when and how to change ISO. What I got from him was, set aperture or shutter speed to get the creative exposure you want, then, if you need to change the ISO to make the shot work, do it.

It dosn't sound like a great book to me books are ok but you get more out getting out and shooting, why did he choose F5.6 ? don't always expose it to the middle, my 1D i expose it a bit to the right (on histogram)because middle is sometime a bit under check your histogram

I'm quite new to photography and i also experience problems understanding the "correct exposure". What indicates that my exposure is correct? Should i judge from the histogram?? I read somewhere that it should be bell shaped at a perfect case. The only variables are Aperture / Shutter speed / ISO, the eV value remains always 0 unless i manually compensate!
Thanks

I'm quite new to photography and i also experience problems understanding the "correct exposure". What indicates that my exposure is correct? Should i judge from the histogram??
Yes, using the histogram is a good way to check for exposure problems.

Understanding Your Digital Camera's Histogram

Understanding Histograms
I read somewhere that it should be bell shaped at a perfect case.
Yes, in the best case/optimum scenario the histogram would be bell shaped.
The only variables are Aperture / Shutter speed / ISO
Yes, those three items make up the Exposure Triangle.

Learning about Exposure - The Exposure Triangle

Understanding Exposure

Most reactions

Back