Correct section to post?

ThaLadyPit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Being as I'm fairly new to this stuff, I'm unsure where the appropriate place to post this question is. I've tried the search function, but my question is too specific and lacking in the correct key words to really find what I'm looking for, so I figured I'd ask here. Mods, if I've posted in the wrong section, please move as needed.

So, my question is for anybody that can really answer this. I've noticed during reading several threads that when photos are presented, they show the specs of the photo, like aperture, f-stop, range of the lens when photo was taken, etc. How in the world do y'all get that on there, especially for those of us who don't fully understand that stuff yet?

Also, I saw someone mention in another section of the forum that the majority of the members use Flickr as opposed to Photobucket. What are the advantages/disadvantages to Flickr vs Photobucket? I took a virtual tour of Flickr and didn't really see anything spectacular about it compared to Photobucket, so if I missed something, can someone please fill me in? Thank you, in advance for any advice/info that can be offered. It's greatly appreciated.

Flickr is higher quality and will save exif data that is uploaded with your photo. Do it! Open the flickr account!

Now as far as how to get the exif data that you are referring to this is made by the camera and saved for each photo, granted you are using a dslr.

What type of camera do you use?

It's called EXIF, or metadata. The vast majority of digital camera automatically record this information as part of the image file.

There is some software that, when used for an image, does not retain the information.

You can 'find' the information in a variety of ways, depending on your browser. I use FireFox, and have two add-ons that allow me to right-click the image to access the data..... however, Flickr requires you to go directly to their site and view it from there. You can also load third-party software, such as Opanda, to view it.

Flickr is higher quality and will save exif data that is uploaded with your photo. Do it! Open the flickr account!

Now as far as how to get the exif data that you are referring to this is made by the camera and saved for each photo, granted you are using a dslr.

What type of camera do you use?

Oh! Okay, lol. No, I don't have a DSLR. I'm currently using a Sanyo Digital VPC-E1600TP(point and shoot type, with programmable modes, as well as Auto mode). I'm still learning about it as I just got it a month or so ago, as a gift to myself. Never bought a new camera for myself up until recently. I listed it in my profile when I signed up, where it asked what cameras I have, but I'm not sure why it doesn't show in my posts like everyone else has theirs. (Insert shrugging shoulders smiley here). I just worry about having too many photo storage/sharing sites with my photos on them... and the time it'll take to transfer all my photos to one from the other. I use Photobucket majority of the time, and have had that account for about 8 yrs now, and also use Photoshop for editing that I can't do in Photobucket (yes, Photoshop has a photo storage/editing site, but I can't share on forums from there like from Photobucket, so I go through the tedious task of editing, downloading, and then re-uploading to Photobucket just to be able to share... exhausting, really.)

It's called EXIF, or metadata. The vast majority of digital camera automatically record this information as part of the image file.

There is some software that, when used for an image, does not retain the information.

You can 'find' the information in a variety of ways, depending on your browser. I use FireFox, and have two add-ons that allow me to right-click the image to access the data..... however, Flickr requires you to go directly to their site and view it from there. You can also load third-party software, such as Opanda, to view it.

I use Fire Fox as well, so if you could point me to the add-ons you're using, that would be awesome. I signed up here so I could learn more, but I feel so lost and drowning right now, lol. I wish I had more time to sit down and learn about my camera... guess while I'm reading on this forum, and helping moderate the other forum I'm a member of, I could be using that time, huh? (Rhetorical question there, just thinking out loud, stating the obvious to myself). Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.

I use Fire Fox as well, so if you could point me to the add-ons you're using, that would be awesome. I signed up here so I could learn more, but I feel so lost and drowning right now, lol. I wish I had more time to sit down and learn about my camera... guess while I'm reading on this forum, and helping moderate the other forum I'm a member of, I could be using that time, huh? (Rhetorical question there, just thinking out loud, stating the obvious to myself). Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.

EXIF viewer.

FxIFhttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fxif/.

Okay, so I found the info by right clicking on a photo, and selecting properties, and then clicking on Details Tab and scrolling down to Camera. It lists things I didn't know about, lol. I did notice that there is more detail available on the Raw file as opposed to viewing a photo edited in Photoshop and then re-downloaded to my computer. Just making an observation here, no real question or point in this post, I don't guess. Please excuse me and forgive my newness.

Most reactions

Back