Correcting lens distortion with software

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying photoshop cc for 30 days, and I love how Camera Raw 9.3 checks your image exif file and offers to correct distortion for the detected lens.

I have always used photoshop elements (currently: ver. 13 with Camera Raw 9.0). This lens distortion option is NOT available in Raw 9.0.

The CC version of full photoshop runs soooooo slooooowwwww that I hate to use it. I assume that adobe won't let you just buy Raw 9.3 without going full photoshop cc? If not correct, please let me know. If my suspicion is correct, do I have options other than ponying up for the full photoshop cc if I want software distortion correction?

Following google search- downloading dxo optics pro. Any experience with this one, anybody?

PT Lens and DXo Viewpoint are stand-alone apps that provide lens distortion correction. You can't just go out and buy ACR 9.3.

The ultimate solution is to buy lenses that don't need it, but that's hard to find and can get expensive.

Joe

Why not get Lightroom? It does the same features you're after and uses the same Adobe RAW processing as CC. So you'd be losing nothing. You can always then output your Lightroom edited photos right into Elements if you want to do anything else to them.

Following google search- downloading dxo optics pro. Any experience with this one, anybody?

DXo optics Pro 10 is a complete raw converter -- in the traditional style as it doesn't offer local adjustments (adjustment brush, gradient) that you get in ACR/LR but what it does do it does better. In terms of lens distortion correction it defines how to do it right.

I use it regularly, especially when I want a wide angle zoom corrected for distortion.

Joe

DXo optics Pro 10 is a complete raw converter -- in the traditional style as it doesn't offer local adjustments (adjustment brush, gradient) that you get in ACR/LR but what it does do it does better. In terms of lens distortion correction it defines how to do it right.

I use it regularly, especially when I want a wide angle zoom corrected for distortion.

Joe
Just downloaded trial version of DXo. Seems to be having a disagreement with Norton A/V and won't install. It's always something! :D I'll fiddle around a bit and see if I can get it to work...

Disable NOrton, install DXo, then Enable Norton.

I agree with Joe, although I only have DxO 9. It handles any kind of distortion correction exceptionally well and I use it quite a bit for that purpose.

Success! disabled Norton, installed DXO. Seems to be working!

Going to try to capture some shots at 18mm and 300mm to try to accentuate distortion tendencies and have the software suss it out...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back