Correcting the horizon line, straightening ...help

MostlyDigital

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How do I correct the horizon line in a picture? (make the picture look like its level, and straight) Do I move the whole picture till the horizon is straight? If so how is this done? I tried to figure it out and I searched the internet but found nada. Please help, thanks :)

use the rotate command - mine usually needs rotated by 1 degree... you can experiment and see what you're norm is....

If you are using photoshop, it's probably easier to duplicate the layer - drag the background layer down to the new layer icon in the layers palette, then ctrl + t right click and choose rotate, then rotate your pic until it's straight.

You'll then need to crop out the empty parts of the pic so that you don't have weird looking edges.

If you're using PS you can right click the eye dropper in the toolbar and select the measure tool. Start at one end of the horizon and draw a line to the other end.

Go to Image|Rotate|Arbitrary and the image will automagically align itself properly (assuming you drew the line correctly).

Alternately, if you can lay a grid over your pic you can rotate it manually by trial and error.

In either case you need to crop the image after rotating it.

This is how I typically do it:

1. Open the image.
2. Type F to go to the view where you can have some room to play with the image.
3. Select the entire image with the marquee tool or by typing CTRL+A.
4. Go to EDIT, then TRANSFORM, then ROTATE. You will see the box appear around the image.
5. Using the mouse, place the cursor near one of the corners and rotate the image until it is as straight as you'd prefer.
6. At this point, you'll notice that the corners of the image will have slivers of triangles of whatever the background color is. To eliminate that, zoom in to one of the corners and select the part of the image that does not include those slivers.
7. Go to IMAGE, then CROP.
8. (Optional) If you'd like to make the image the same size as it was, go to IMAGE, then IMAGE SIZE, and resize.

I turn on the grid so that I have straight lines for reference, then rotate the image.

hmm I rotate my head... then the pic is straight :)

Another way is to select the entire image with the crop tool, rotate from a corner until the horizon is straight, crop, select the whole image again, and move each side in individually until past the exposed canvas and crop again. This method is not precise with the second crop because the borders of the crop selection don't move in tiny increments but this method is quick and easy and good enough for most shots. Of course, with PS there are always 10 right ways to do anything!

Most reactions

Back