Corrupted image... Which device is to blame?

koentao

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

I recently did a wedding shoot, and a few of my files were corrupted (At the most unfortunate timing as well).... I traced back that this came from one of my 16GB Sandisk Extreme IV Cards.... I have two of them, don't exactly know which one...

The question I have for this is... Is this caused by a failing memory card? Or is it caused by a failing camera? I haven't had a problem with the camera since the wedding...

Thanks for your input.

It could either. You don't provide enough information.

In what device were the cards formatted before shots from the wedding were written to the memory card(s)?

That you don't know which of 2 cards the corrupt images came from is likely a sign you may not be using best practices.

It could be just the image # 8666 kidding. Did you already format the cards , image # is on the image. Like KMH said , you have to make sure you format in the camera you are using it in and 16Gig card is too big for my comfort specially a wedding.
-
Shoot well, Joe

You may have already done this, but if you haven't, then I would number each of the two 16GB cards that you have. That way, you will always know which images came off which card, and you will be able to trace problems like this a bit better. As KmH has said, it could be a number of problems - card was not formatted, did not format properly, could be a write error to the card. How did you download the images to your computer? Could be a problem between the computer and the card, etc., etc. Let us know what type of camera you are using and how you downloaded the images from the card to the computer.

The other question I would have is how are the "errors' distributed - do they happen randomly within the images - are they all grouped together in one spot - do they happen in groups...two or three together in one place, then two or three together in another place. Finding the cause for something like this is not easy, but the more you know, the easier it might be to find the source of the problem. Have you sent a copy of a couple of your images to SanDisk technical support. They may have a lot more experience with this stuff than we do and may be able to pin point the source of the problem right away. For example, if it is a defective card, then maybe they will replace it (them). HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Last edited:
I would agree that it is your card. I've had three cards go out on me. THANKS SANDISK....anyway, when mine started to go out they began throwing pink lines on them, until the image wasn't all there.

I've also had a camera sensor go out, and it looks completely different. If you already formatted the disk then try experiment with both on a trial run. I know you have canon, but I with Nikon I know when there is a problem with my cards. I start getting error codes on my camera. Anyway, good luck. Sucks having photos go out on a wedding. I had a disk go out on me in a wedding but was able to recover it.

Thanks for the responses. Camera that was used at the time is Canon 5D Mrk II

I actually just shot another wedding this past weekend and the same thing happened. There were 9 files that were not readable, gave an IO error on the computer when try to access it. What I noticed this time, it was also from one of the 16GB cards...

Also the files seems to be clustered: 0406,0433,0434,0444,0445,0446,0447,0457,0458. Which lead me to believe it's the memory card. Not the camera. I did not have my two 16GB cards labeled, so I still don't know which is bad. I am going to contact Sandisk and see if they can just replace both and take away the guesswork.

How are your experiences with warranty with Sandisk? Do they make you jump though hoops before they replace it?

I actually just shot another wedding this past weekend and the same thing happened. There were 9 files that were not readable, gave an IO error on the computer when try to access it. What I noticed this time, it was also from one of the 16GB cards...

Also the files seems to be clustered: 0406,0433,0434,0444,0445,0446,0447,0457,0458. Which lead me to believe it's the memory card. Not the camera. I did not have my two 16GB cards labeled, so I still don't know which is bad. I am going to contact Sandisk and see if they can just replace both and take away the guesswork.

How are your experiences with warranty with Sandisk? Do they make you jump though hoops before they replace it?

Just one more question - do you format the card in the camera before you use it? I always reformat my SanDisk cards after the images have been downloaded to my computer and I have made a backup. Is the "problem" still there when you reformat the card? As far as a SanDisk warranty, can't help you there as I have never had one of their cards play any "tricks" on me.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I would stop using the 16 gig card right away if i were you. I can't loose 16 gig worth of pictures after a wedding.

I try to use 4 gig and 8 gig cards only, they are smaller, alot of card swapping but i dont trust card enought to shoot 16-32-64 gig of data on 1 single point of failure.
It takes 10 second to swap 2 sd card from a camera.

Just one more question - do you format the card in the camera before you use it? I always reformat my SanDisk cards after the images have been downloaded to my computer and I have made a backup. Is the "problem" still there when you reformat the card? As far as a SanDisk warranty, can't help you there as I have never had one of their cards play any "tricks" on me.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Yea, I did make sure I formatted the card each time on the camera in which the card would be used before I start shooting...

When shooting RAW at 21MP, unfortunately 8GB card can only get me 250 pictures. I tend to overshoot, and would hate to run out of space at the most unfortunate time (ex. bride and groom exchanging rings or their first kiss...)

Was able to get the RMA to go through. I found it easier to submit an RMA request via online chat, than via email. The first email I sent them, they basically blew me off and try to blame it on me... (image corruption could be due to trying to take off a card in the middle of writing, that your battery on the camera was on it's way out while the file is being written)... Come on? Really? I am sure someone who buys Extreme cards knows how to use a memory card properly...

Anyways, the RMA request went through much more smoothly via online chat, and the cards were mailed out today. They agreed to replace both cards since I don't know which one is bad, and that I felt uncomfortable using either one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back