Cotton Pickin'

RadialPrincess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.promodfullthrottle.com
This is my first image post... be gentle.

IMG_1426.jpg

Much too small at 223 x 155.

Try to make it about 600 x 400 pixels.

This isn't a technical critism, just one based solely on my personal preferences, but...

I don't think there's much focus in the picture - the font stalks are in focus, but there's nothing to make them stand out as the focus.

If there was some separation between the stalks at the front and the field - simply by making one cotton stalk more prominent, it would draw the viewer into the picture.

But as I say- that's just my personal perfrence so don't put too much store by it.

I think I would prefer to see more of the bottom of the stalk in the front row by taking the picture vertically. Like andycarnall said, i'm having trouble finding the focus. I know what the subject is, but my eyes just want to go all over the place...searching. Does that make sense?

That's my 2 cents...and 2 cents aren't worth much.

**EDIT** Maybe B&W would help out too. Not sure, would have to see it.

IMO it's just boring... no offense but I don't think a cotton field is that great of a subject.

Well, LittleMan, it may well be for those who only know it as t-shirts and jeans...! Like myself ;).

LittleMan said:
IMO it's just boring... no offense but I don't think a cotton field is that great of a subject.

I've never seen one, and it's very interesting to me. I agree that maybe having emphasis on a single plant (with the rest in the background, if it's possible given the low contrast between a white cotton plant and a bunch of white cotton plants ;) )...

walter23 said:
LittleMan said:

I've never seen one, and it's very interesting to me. I agree that maybe having emphasis on a single plant (with the rest in the background, if it's possible given the low contrast between a white cotton plant and a bunch of white cotton plants ;) )...
True.... That would probably be a little better.... :)

It needs a subject!

I'm feeling like it's a cross between a photo with a subject and a landscape. My eye wanders around looking for something to pop out of the DOF and nothing ever does.

Thanks everyone.

That is one of the first shots I've ever taken, so I'm really new to this stuff. I don't have a very good understanding of the fundamentals yet, so I have this picture in my head of how I would want it to come out, and then I try and get the camera to see it. Not working very well yet...

What I was trying for was similar to what you all were saying... have one stick out and the rest in the background. I'm just having trouble with the mechanics of it.

I'll keep trying,
Thanks!

jadin said:
I'd crop the very top edge to get rid of 'non-field'.

Not sure what else I'd change.

I agree with that statement. I also like how it looks if you crop it to just over the highest, in focus stalk....if that makes much sense. :D Maybe even turn it into a contrasty b/w shot too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back