Could do with some helpful C&C - HDR

Sookie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, my very first post outside the welcome area.
Was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers or C&C on a couple of my HDR photos please ? They are not the most interesting pictures, but all the same :) I've no idea about photography rules - but I like taking pics - I also like to try to HDR some of them - but again I'm not really sure what I'm doing too well, I just like pottering about (kind of self taught). I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X and Photomatix Pro if this is any help. I have Adobe, but really don't like it for some reason, maybe someone can convince me if it's better to use :D - Cheers !!

2q04n02.jpg

2ikb4gz.jpg

140eosm.jpg

208k3zn.jpg

Last edited:
you seem to be off to a good start. I am assuming the first two are before tonemapping and the second set after.

The first corrected is a bit too harsh for me; however, the first is too flat and needs a bit of tweaking for contrast. Maybe some place inbetween.

Might back off just a bit on the second as well.

Are you happy? After all it is your vision .

Also, use what ever software your most comfortable with and gives you the results you seek.

I think you should back the saturation off a bit on No 1. But I agree the HDR really improves the image from the original.

The second one has too much contrast and needs to be brightened up a bit. I think you are actually loosing some of the details of the sculptures due to the dark tones. Need to back those off big time.

not a bad effort though. it's all subjective in the end.

Since your Photos are NOT OK to Edit, not much I can do for ya.
You could use words to express your opinion or give advice.

But Id prefer to ignore those who are too uppity to have mere mortals touch their pictures while at the same time ask for help. Of course the tag is by default set to NO OK so thats why I gave the opportunity to alter that setting. I prefer to help visually instead of by text. It helps both the OP and myself and anyone else who might be trying to learn something. Anything that gets posted can be taken, altered and posted anywhere at any time. The only place it prevents someone from posting is here. The very place it should be posted. The idea just doesnt make sense to me and it should not be a choice. We are all here to help each other. So whats wrong with 'fixing' someone's post so they can see the possibilities of what could be. Could you tell me the reason you have that NO OK Buckster?

Since your Photos are NOT OK to Edit, not much I can do for ya.
You could use words to express your opinion or give advice.

But Id prefer to ignore those who are too uppity to have mere mortals touch their pictures while at the same time ask for help. Of course the tag is by default set to NO OK so thats why I gave the opportunity to alter that setting. I prefer to help visually instead of by text. It helps both the OP and myself and anyone else who might be trying to learn something. Anything that gets posted can be taken, altered and posted anywhere at any time. The only place it prevents someone from posting is here. The very place it should be posted. The idea just doesnt make sense to me and it should not be a choice. We are all here to help each other. So whats wrong with 'fixing' someone's post so they can see the possibilities of what could be. Could you tell me the reason you have that NO OK Buckster?
I have it set to "no" because as they are my works, I prefer that others not feel free to start mucking about with them and posting various versions of my works on the internet, which means they're uploading those versions of my works to various servers and sites I do not have any control or say in.

I'm open to any comments or critiques anyone desires to post about my works, but that doesn't mean that I will choose to incorporate any of those suggestions, unless I see fit to. I alone will make that choice about my works and the results will remain in my hands.

That's just my personal choice. Others may choose to allow all manner of editing to their works, and that's fine too - to each his/her own in that regard.

I find that 99% of the time, words are adequate to express the thoughts I have about what I see. I can relate information about color, contrast, composition, highlights, shadows, sharpness, DOF, and all manner of things without too much trouble. If I absolutely couldn't find the words to express what I wanted to convey, I would simply explain to the OP that I can't seem to say what I mean in that case, and ask permission to show them with an exception to their "no editing" choice for that single piece. If they agree, I would proceed. If not, no sweat there either.

I wouldn't withhold my thoughts or opinions or advice simply because they don't let me paint eye shadow and smiles on their own personal Mona Lisas, nor do I consider that choice "uppity". ;)

Sorry Buckster, but when I looked up the word Uppity, your photo was there. "Your work" -- the very sound of that is so snobbish. You seem to forget anyone can do anything at all to your pics. So why sweat it? If I had your attitude of dont touch, then I wouldnt even bother to post on the internet. Then you are guaranteed "your work" remains your work. Ive done alterations to hundreds of posts, all in the good spirit of friendship. And Ive only done these alterations on pics which in my opinion needed it. Ive been thanked countless times and a few times told its not what was preferred. Many have asked how I did it and Ive gladly told them how. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though and Im not always right. Finally, guys like you should just get down off your high horse and play nicely after all its only a few pixels. And a picture is worth a thousand words.

so what it comes down to is two people with diffrent opinions. opinions everyone has so no need to get into name calling and class warfare.

Sorry Buckster, but when I looked up the word Uppity, your photo was there.
I find your insult childish at best.

"Your work" -- the very sound of that is so snobbish.
Your continued isults are pointless and irrational, not to mention condescending and oh, how shall I put it - snobbish.

You seem to forget anyone can do anything at all to your pics.
Not legally, they can't, because I'm not giving them permission to do so. See how that works?

So why sweat it?
I don't sweat it at all. I've made my decision to keep my work as my own, that's all. It's no sweat off you or anybody else, so getting your panties all in a bunch over it is just plain weird dude.

If I had your attitude of dont touch, then I wouldnt even bother to post on the internet.
That's you. I'm not you.

Then you are guaranteed "your work" remains your work.
I'm already guaranteed that - by law.

Ive done alterations to hundreds of posts, all in the good spirit of friendship.
Good for you. Frankly, I'm not your friend, nor do I have any desire to be.

And Ive only done these alterations on pics which in my opinion needed it.
Your opinion is just that, and of little consequence to me unless you can learn to use words and sentences to convey it.

Ive been thanked countless times and a few times told its not what was preferred.
Good for you. Give yourself a gold star. I too am thanked often and told I've improved a photo, but that doesn't make me OR you the be all/end all of photo critique or opinion, since it's so subjective. And in no case do I pretend to be so awesome that I will withhold my oh-so-valuable opinions or advice unless the person capitulates to my inferred demands that they do as I say and agree to let anyone and everyone edit their photos.

Many have asked how I did it and Ive gladly told them how.
Ahhh... so you DO know how to use words to convey thoughts and information. Terrific.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though and Im not always right.
Trust me, I've noticed that too. A lot.

Finally, guys like you should just get down off your high horse and play nicely after all its only a few pixels.
Maybe you should get down off yours and go ahead and play nice by using words to help people instead of holding them hostage until they give in to your childish demands.

And a picture is worth a thousand words.
Seems to me that you need a picture of a Waaaaambulance.

Boys,
You're old enough to know better than to get into arguments of this nature so cool it!

Personally, I have mine set to NOT OK TO EDIT because i would like to learn how to properly use the software. It doesn't help me to do so if someone presents a fait accompli. I would prefer that someone offer a suggestion for me to try so that I may experiment for myself.

That being said, I like the OP's results overall but the colors are a bit to heavy for my tastes. On the 2nd one there is a bright red spot on the lower right side that I find very distracting. I would suggest maybe toning it down a bit. It might actually work better as a black & white.

I like the OP's results overall but the colors are a bit to heavy for my tastes. On the 2nd one there is a bright red spot on the lower right side that I find very distracting. I would suggest maybe toning it down a bit. It might actually work better as a black & white.
I particularly like the second one, including the rich saturation. Then again, I'm a fan of saturation that others often find over the top. The red bit, a flower, was in the first one too, so I understand it. It does make it difficult because the green didn't show up to better define it as a flower, and it's very small in the composition to really tell easily. Maybe a bit more work on that would be good, say bringing up the green somewhat and knocking down the red a bit.

In the first one, I'd just like to see a lot more detail in the brick work, mainly. In fact, it looks like the whole shot could stand a bit of sharpening.

For there to be an argument there have to be two or more participants. I simply made a comment to the OP as to the default setting which he might not be aware can be set in a more friendly manner. I am absolutely sure I wasnt talking to Buckster who got his knickers in a knot and is the one being rather boorish.

For there to be an argument there have to be two or more participants. I simply made a comment to the OP as to the default setting which he might not be aware can be set in a more friendly manner. I am absolutely sure I wasnt talking to Buckster who got his knickers in a knot and is the one being rather boorish.
I only offered a suggestion for how to help without editing: words. Big deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back