Could I consider myself a professional photographer....

I've heard 3 definitions of "professional":

1) You've made any amount of money selling your work.

2) You make at least half your income selling your work.

3) You make all of your income selling your work.

I fit into #2. Overall, it's a term similar to "fine art"; it's vague and used to describe many very different kinds of people/work. It ends up becoming a marketing term. I've come up with my own definition of "professional" photographer.

4) You pay taxes on the money you earn doing photography.

ksmattfish said:
I've heard 3 definitions of "professional":

4) You pay taxes on the money you earn doing photography.

Oh yeah, that would do it! I felt very professional when I paid to make my business into a corporation. That, and when I saw my ad in the yellow pages :)

There's another side, since you mentioned fine art. There's the guy who is a "starving artist" and makes next to nothing from it, yet is professional :p

I think you will become a real profesional if your photos would be that good that you will be selling them almost everyday for a great amount of money... or... when YOU will be extremely proud if your photos

Digital Matt said:
There's another side, since you mentioned fine art. There's the guy who is a "starving artist" and makes next to nothing from it, yet is professional :p

Here's a quote made by Alfred Stieglitz in 1899. It's always been a favorite of mine.

Let me here call attention to one of the most universally popular mistakes that have to do with photography - that of classing supposedly excellent work as professional, and using the term amateur to convey the idea of immature productions and to excuse atrociously poor photographs. As a matter of fact nearly all the greatest work is being, and has always been done, by those who are following photography for the love of it, and not merely for financial reasons. As the name implies, an amateur is one who works for love; and viewed in this light the incorrectness of the popular classification is readily apparent.

When I worked at the photo lab I saw plenty of "professional" photographers who didn't know their aperture from their ass :camera: :eek:ldman:

"Professional" tends to imply a high standard of quality from someone who is educated in the techniques, but these days, in many cases I think it merely means you make money at it.

My goal is to be the most professional amateur I can be :wink:

I worked as a pro along time ago, it sucked. Can't take pictures of what you want to and everybody's all "Can you make me look skinny?". Taking pics of art work was OK, it didn't talk back :wink:

This debate also ties in with the classifying of cameras in today's market. Consumer, Prosumer, and Professional. A great photographer can take a great photo with a $15 Holga, and a bad photographer can take a horrible photo with an $8000 Pro camera.

Great quote ksmatfish!

malachite said:
My goal is to be the most professional amateur I can be :wink:

I worked as a pro along time ago, it sucked. Can't take pictures of what you want to and everybody's all "Can you make me look skinny?". Taking pics of art work was OK, it didn't talk back :wink:

Amen to that!!! :cheers:

To me a professional is someone while doing a certin tasks no longer questions rather or not they are actualy a professional at that specific task.

heyyy, i've sold some pictures before, does that make me profesional :shock: haha cause I consider myself far from profesional

From dictionary.com

pro·fes·sion·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-fsh-nl)
adj.

1. a. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
b.Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
3. Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
4. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

n.
1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
3. A skilled practitioner; an expert.

Everybody's ideas seem to fit the definition.

You could always go by the way sports do it... Once you accept any amount of money for competing in your sport, you're labeled "Pro" and unable to compete in amateur competitions.

Here's a quote made by Alfred Stieglitz in 1899. It's always been a favorite of mine.

Quote:
Let me here call attention to one of the most universally popular mistakes that have to do with photography - that of classing supposedly excellent work as professional, and using the term amateur to convey the idea of immature productions and to excuse atrociously poor photographs. As a matter of fact nearly all the greatest work is being, and has always been done, by those who are following photography for the love of it, and not merely for financial reasons. As the name implies, an amateur is one who works for love; and viewed in this light the incorrectness of the popular classification is readily apparent.

I love this quote. I could not have expressed these thoughts so succinctly. (I'm too wordy; it's a fault. :wink: ) But I do know that when the hubby and I were hustling for wedding gigs, doing the jobs, and all the pre/post work associated with them, neither of us enjoyed it much. We sure got paid well, though. And there was some satisfaction from having happy clients, and getting those referrals. But we're out of it now. Nowadays, we shoot for the sheer enjoyment of shooting. Trying different cameras, films, filters, lenses - when something comes together to give us an image WE love, there is an inner satisfaction and thrill that didn't exist as "professional wedding photographers". And participation in the occasional gallery exhibit or arts festival is a benign and enjoyable way to get the work out there - whatever $$ it may or may not bring. For us, it's become a lighter, more pure pursuit. Yet, we've never worked harder at it. Does that make sense? :scratch: :D

Most reactions

Back