Could somebody please explain this to me?

Phil the Photographer

in need of Photo-holic therapy
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I'm looking to make my hobby into a business and once I start selling, what is a photography copywright? Do I need to worry about it? I thought a copywright was for like inventions and stuff like that, forgive my arrogance.:blushing::(

You could say that every photo to take...is an invention of yours.

Copyrights apply to many things....and just about all forms of art. It basically means that you own the rights to the image you have created...and nobody else has the right to use that as their own.

For example, if you take a photo...and Coke puts that image onto billboards and TV etc...they could be making millions of dollars from that image...and shouldn't the person who created that image, get something for it?

It's the same with music. You can't just record and release a song that someone else wrote, without paying for it.

As the photographer, you automatically own the rights to a photo you take, unless you are working for someone (newspaper for example)...or unless you sell the rights.

I thought a copywright was for like inventions and stuff like that, forgive my arrogance.:blushing::(
Big Mike there already answered quite nicely for you (I'm Mike as well, and, er, I'm quite big myself, hehe). For inventions of a physical product, that would be a patent, not a copyright. Just a bit of thought for ya.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back