Could someone tell me what this is?

Kross74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Got a question. I've admired this photographer's work for quite sometime. Could you folks click on the link below look at the photographs to tell me what kind of photography is this and what kind of backdrops are being used?
From my understanding the photos are printed on canvas and some are oil painted.
click on gallery to view the work.
http://www.darrahportraits.com/

I'll like to know the exact style of photography this is and whatever else you guys can provide. I'll like to go in this direction of photography.

I've already called to get information regarding the type of photography. The photographer is very selective regarding the information given.

I can't but help to notice you guys are more impressed with the site. I'm not concerned about the web site, at all. My husband has a firm that helps businesses grow, increase sales, direct mail response, etc. While specializing in internet marketing & web development.
http://www.hippomarketing.com

Any information given regarding the style of photography and equipment, used, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all your answers!
Kim:)

Well, I had a look and I can see why you are impressed with the work here. I really like that user interface as well, and would like to know what software was used. That's really slick. Anyway, I'm not sure I can offer much information. As far as a style, it's just really good portraiture work. The photographer has a real command and understanding of lighting as well. As far as the backdrops, it looks like some nice high dollar backgrounds and props. You might find silimar problems at backdropoutlet.com. It all looks pretty high end though.

i see your in Ga. he is in Ga. call and ask him where he got the background screens.

also, i would agree with john, this is a matter of knowing one's craft and using it very well.

Wow...great site and great work.

The site is custom Flash work. Nothing off the shelf, atleast nothing close to what I've seen, but also, nothing extremely sophisticated. The most impressive part is the layout and design work.

If you can come up with the design and functionality (or follow this websites), I believe someone proficient in Flash work would be able to make you something similar without much problems.

Other than great props and backgrounds, a lot of careful setup of the portrait, and great lighting, I don't see anything special about the photographs. Not to say that the work isn't damn impressive, but there isn't any special technique used or special PP work.

Regarding the oil canvas paintings, I would assume they would use an actual painter to paint the portraits whether during a session or from a photo.

Great direction to head in. Best of luck!

I tried to find out more information. But the photographer is very secretive and not willing to give out information. The most information received was the photos are printed on canvas and some of it is oil painting.

There are places where you can have photos printed on canvas, and I think you can have them coated to look more like oil paintings. Although He may even create the look in photoshop and then have it printed on the canvas as well.

His backdrops are very high end, some look as though they could be silverlake backdrops, they are gorgeous :) His work is fabulous, I would bet he has a really good camera, and some great glass to get that kind of sharpness, probably a 5d, or better even (unless he is nikon then d200). Not to mention lots of experience to back it up. His lighting is spot on, and I am sure he does do some PP as well :)

Pretty standard lighting of two different styles (not counting outdoors with daylight).
The main style is a large softbox at head height, 45 degrees to the model with a reflector on the other side to bounce light back in and lift the shadows.
Some of the head and shoulders shots have a smaller softbox closer to the camera axis.
One portrait appears to have a top light as well.
Backdrops are hand painted canvas - like stage sets (and they probably got someone who works in a theatre to paint them - or maybe they got them cheap when a theatre sold them off). And a few props.

The 'oil paintings' are tosh of the worst kind.
Take the basic photo and work it up in Photoshop to look a bit like a painting. Print it and get it laminated onto canvas. Then work over it with thin oils to give it that 'authentic' feel.
I think it's garbage but if people like it and buy it and are happy, I won't argue. And if the photographer can make a living out of it then I wish them luck.

So you guys can see why I'm so impressed with the work. This is the direction I'll like to get in for sure. I spoke with the wife when I called. They are sending information about the sessions. We have four children & interested in getting the kids photographed. When I schedule to have the kids photographed, I hope he'll be willing to give me more info.

Thanks GUYS!

Another idea that my sis-in-law did was to take various pictures of items in a room (couches, vases, drapes, etc.) and blend them together in a kind of abstract collage, then have it printed on canvas. She called it match-print, and it sold fairly well. It was like having an abstract oil painting that always matched the room.

Most reactions

Back