Could you critique some of my photos?

clemaire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm pretty new at photography and would really appreciate some critiques...

old.jpg

Of the 3, the last one is my favorite. The first is too dark and underexposed, IMO. The second one is out of focus. The third one is the best, but the background still looks too busy to me.

You're throwing way too many out there. I learned the hard way that nobody here wants to critique so many photos. Pick 1-2 of your best ones for critique.

You're throwing way too many out there. I learned the hard way that nobody here wants to critique so many photos. Pick 1-2 of your best ones for critique.
Im not trying to get you to...but since you already did the other 4, maybe someone else can critique these other two

Since I was the one that asked to see your photos in the other thread, I'll critique :sillysmi:

#1. You're somewhat exposed for the sky, but not for the building, which to me seems to be the subject. I don't know if you've learned this already, but your camera is physically incapable of properly exposing two extreme ends of the spectrum. If it exposed the building correctly, your sky would be blown out... but if you expose for the sky then your building is under exposed. You needed to get the sky out of the frame, and whatever that random thing off to the right is and straighten your camera a little bit, on top of exposing the building properly.

#2. What is your subject? To me it seems like you wanted the boardwalk to be your subject, but it's out of focus, and there's nothing interesting about what you *do* have in focus. There isn't anything particularly interesting about anything in that frame anyway.

#3. Lighting is really harsh. I think it'd like it better if that tree wasn't in the background... my eye keeps flipping to it.

#4. Nothing particularly interesting and it's centered in the frame... which isn't usually a good thing (although there are some exceptions).

#5 It's tipping to the left... straighten your frame... this is where photoshop comes in handy :sexywink: I actually think this is the best of your set so far.

#6. I also like this one. The symmetry works for this one. :sillysmi:

Are you reading any books about photography? Or are you just relying on that one class? Where is the class you're taking? I couldn't get a sense for how old you are from the other post. Are you in High School? College? An adult taking classes at a camera shop or community college?

Find some books that teach about composition and exposure. A popular recommendation here is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Maybe check that out?

Thanks for your critiques. I'm a junior in HS lol. I guess all my knowledge so far came from that class. I really havent learned much and the only pics I've taken thus far are from my trips I go on. Most of these are from Spain :D...I know a lot about lomography and that doesn't really help with photography/photoshop. But I have developed an interest this summer and the pics from Spain were really my first attempt. I am going to Get some books for sure

Thanks for your critiques. I'm a junior in HS lol. I guess all my knowledge so far came from that class. I really havent learned much and the only pics I've taken thus far are from my trips I go on. Most of these are from Spain :D...I know a lot about lomography and that doesn't really help with photography/photoshop. But I have developed an interest this summer and the pics from Spain were really my first attempt. I am going to Get some books for sure

Well have fun and keep shooting :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back