Could you recommend a camera for multiple uses (product shots, video, etc)

jcharles00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!
I've been wanting to get a new camera for a while, but can't seem to settle on one. FWIW, the last camera I've used was a Canon Powershot S30, which was nice as a point and shoot, but in the pseudo manual modes it didn't seem to offer enough control. I'm also not sure exactly what lenses I would want.

Regarding uses, I am a graduate student in design, and would be using the camera for several types of projects. Some would be product shots of mock ups and models in controlled lighting conditions. This could be items ranging in size from around an inch square on up to something the size of a washing machine. I'm also interested in playing with portraiture a little bit, but it's not a primary concern. I imagine it's pretty standard, but I'd like the ability to use remote lighting in addition to a hot shoe mounted flash.

I'm also interested in the ability to shoot video. Largely this would come in the form of product use observations, but secondarily, it might be nice to film a cycling race or music performance occasionally.

While most of my needs are for kind of functional, documentary photography, I'd like to have something with enough quality that I could do prints and have them look nice.

For price range, I'm thinking that I could go up to the neighborhood of $1500-ish, if there were reason to, but I'd be alot happier around $600 for a body and lens. I don't plan on becoming a pro photographer or anything, so I don't think I need a ton of lenses or anything, maybe eventually get something macro, something midrange, and something a little longer. I don't know if that's a reasonable plan.

I've read some stuff online.. Product designers seem fond of Lumix, photographers seem fond of cannon because of common lenses. I've kind of been eyeballing the lumix G6, and I'll admit that it looks nice and the wifi, and stop motion animation support sound fun albeit unnecessary. I kind of understand the differences between DSLR, micro 4/3rds and other mirrorless stuff, but I'm still not really sure which would be best for me.

Any input would be appreciated!

Hello!
I've been wanting to get a new camera for a while, but can't seem to settle on one. FWIW, the last camera I've used was a Canon Powershot S30, which was nice as a point and shoot, but in the pseudo manual modes it didn't seem to offer enough control. I'm also not sure exactly what lenses I would want.

Regarding uses, I am a graduate student in design, and would be using the camera for several types of projects. Some would be product shots of mock ups and models in controlled lighting conditions. This could be items ranging in size from around an inch square on up to something the size of a washing machine. I'm also interested in playing with portraiture a little bit, but it's not a primary concern. I imagine it's pretty standard, but I'd like the ability to use remote lighting in addition to a hot shoe mounted flash.

I'm also interested in the ability to shoot video. Largely this would come in the form of product use observations, but secondarily, it might be nice to film a cycling race or music performance occasionally.

While most of my needs are for kind of functional, documentary photography, I'd like to have something with enough quality that I could do prints and have them look nice.

For price range, I'm thinking that I could go up to the neighborhood of $1500-ish, if there were reason to, but I'd be alot happier around $600 for a body and lens. I don't plan on becoming a pro photographer or anything, so I don't think I need a ton of lenses or anything, maybe eventually get something macro, something midrange, and something a little longer. I don't know if that's a reasonable plan.

I've read some stuff online.. Product designers seem fond of Lumix, photographers seem fond of cannon because of common lenses. I've kind of been eyeballing the lumix G6, and I'll admit that it looks nice and the wifi, and stop motion animation support sound fun albeit unnecessary. I kind of understand the differences between DSLR, micro 4/3rds and other mirrorless stuff, but I'm still not really sure which would be best for me.

Any input would be appreciated!

Well honestly my recommendation would be one of two cameras, either the Nikon D5200 or the Nikon D5100. The D5200 has a better autofocus system and a higher MP sensor, but really from the sounds of things it will actually be more than what you need. The D5100 will have a 16 mp sensor which should be more than enough to produce a good high quality image - it has an articulating screen which is great for video, and by going with the D5100 you can spend the rest on a really good quality tripod, which really is going to make the biggest difference for the types of photography your planning on doing - much more so that anything else really.

You can get a really good used D5100 for less than $400, spend a couple hundred more on a good quality tripod, and your all set and still in your $600 budget range.

My advise is Nikon D5200.
Modern 24MP sensor, very impressive dynamic range and good AF.
The swivel screen comes very handy when using the camera to take video.
The D5200 will do everything you are looking for and for the price you are aiming but you will need lenses to go with that for your special needs.

The Nikon 60mm 2.8G is a fantastic lens, its a macro lens but will also do portrait shots very well.
I have this lens, very good for macro but also a good all around lens and is relatively resonably priced.
To that you can use the Nikon 18-105mm VR as a general use lens.

Lots of other lenses out there but I will not fill the page here but you basically can get any lens you want for any specil needs.
If you are willing to buy used lenses then you can significantly cut costs, all my lenses I bought used.

From what I understand, Canon products are more suited to video than Nikon's stuff, but Nikon's more geared for photos. The Canon 70D has a lot of video-oriented features, like phase detection AF while shooting video, a rotating/flipping screen, and probably something else that the Nikon D7100 has. Neither are a BAD choice, but for video, I'd say 70D over D7100. For photos, I say the opposite.

I'm sure a $12k Canon 1D C fits into his $1500 max budget.

Canon 70D would fit the bill for the body.

Hi jcharles - if video is important to you, you were on the right track with the $629 Panasonic G6. If you ever decide to put the camera at the back of a concert venue and record a music performance or a play, every one of the DSLRs recommended above will quit recording after 30 minutes of continuous video and have to be restarted. None of them have viewfinders that work when you're shooting video (optical viewfinders are blocked by the mirror in video mode). None of them can record 1080/60p for in-camera slow motion. And all of the Canons (and the D5100) have a problem with a phenomenon called "moire" - shimmering colors in patterned subjects (to be fair, Nikon has addressed this problem with the D5200 and D7100).

The G6, on the other hand, shoots continuously for hours, its viewfinder works while shooting video, it records 1080/60p for smooth slow motion and it is resistant to moire. It is a very good value-for-money still/video camera.

I moderate the Panasonic G6 group over on Vimeo, and you can see examples of what this camera can do there: https://vimeo.com/groups/dmcg6

That said, with a $1500 budget, I would take a serious look at the G6's big brother, the $978 Panasonic GH3 plus the $499 (on sale) first generation video-optimized Panasonic 14-140mm lens. In addition to the G6's essentially unlimited recording time, viewfinder that works for shooting video and 1080/60p slow motion - it also has several important features the G6 lacks: e.g., an all-metal splashproof body, a headphone jack, higher recording bit rates (up to 72mbps) and the ability to record to Quicktime for easier editing.

Here's the GH3 on set shooting stills and video for a Coach campaign in New York (note the smooth 1080/60p slow motion):

[video=vimeo;78983345]http://vimeo.com/78983345[/video]​

More examples of what this camera can do here: https://vimeo.com/groups/gh3/videos/

The $1147 Nikon D7100 and $1099 Canon 70D are arguably better still cameras, but, in my view, the $978 GH3 is the best hybrid still/video camera on the market at your price point.

Good luck with your design career!

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I understand, Canon products are more suited to video than Nikon's stuff, but Nikon's more geared for photos.
Nikon has better sensors right now when it comes to stills. Specifically, more pixels and a better dynamic range. Other features (like whether the histogram displays in live-view) make "best" debatable (and very debated).

For video: the Canon 70D leads the pack simply because it has phase-sensors in its CMOS (and a lens capable of taking advantage of that). It would be hard to state other current Canons (say: T3i) were better at video than their Nikon counterparts.

But that's DSLR's. You may do well with a NX or Micro-four-thirds camera or the like (I don't know them well enough off-hand to make recommendations).

There are actually a bunch of cameras within your budget that do good product photography and also decent video--take your pick. Seriously...it's a mistake to say it's just Nikon or just Canon or whatever. Probably 50 different bodies.

I think the real challenge is for what you want to shoot, there is some specific gear that you need to consider and you should include it in your budget.
1. You need a professional quality tripod, one that allows the center column to go horizontal and be rock solid. This is invaluable for product photography and graphic work. Yes, you can find tripods for $50--that's a waste of your money. You're looking at something like a Manfrotto or Gitzo or Kenbo so figure on a minimum of $150.
2. You're going to need to manipulate light. I think that means a cheap soft box, stand, and speed light. Or a light tent (if your products are small enough). This could range from $120-$600 (depending mostly on the quality of the speed light and assuming you get a very inexpensive soft box and stand). If you buy a camera system like Nikon that has a commander feature (the popup flash communicates with the speed lights) that that will save you having to buy triggers. You might want to filters or gels to go over the speed lights.

I personally feel that for product photography, the stuff I've just mentioned matters a lot more than the camera does.

Most reactions

Back