County Fair | Barrel Racing

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last week was my county's fair, and I brought my camera along to the open-class horse show. I had to work that day, so I didn't get to the show until it was just finishing up, however. I managed to get a few shots, and this one was definitely my favorite! I definitely wish I had a fixed aperture lens, so I didn't have to shoot at f/5.6! I wish those trailers were more out of focus, but with my current lens, that's just not possible. (Unless I fake it in post, I suppose, but I never think that looks good.)

Missy's Ponies-1.JPG

ISO 160
f/5.6
1/640 sec.

I feel like this looks a little "noise-y". Thoughts? I notice it mostly on her face, but at ISO160, I'm not sure why it would have so much noise.

Also, there's a fair amount of fringing going on on the fencing. Does this detract from the quality of the shot?

And maybe sometimes you just fiddle with it.

Missy's Ponies-1 - Version 2.jpg

Yup! Cropping so that horse and rider are more prominent works for me.

And maybe sometimes you just fiddle with it.

View attachment 106272

I do like that crop! I think it does a good job dealing with some of the fringe-ink on the fence, and it does put more emphasis on the horse and rider.

That said, I also like the original crop! I like the space on the left that leaves room for them to move into. I also like the tracks that have been worn by the previous horses. They also serve as simple leading lines to the horse and rider - minor, but still there.

I think both crops work nicely!

Thanks for your input!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back