county fair display - hot and humid conditions - would you use canvas?

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a county fair display coming up this September. Its a large barn type building with about 5 or 6 huge doors that are open first thing in the morning. In the morning its pretty damp, then in the afternoon and evening its pretty hot. I am hoping to get the spot I had a few years ago that didnt get much direct sunlight. At the time I displayed a ton of 11x14's but this time I want to display fewer but larger pieces. They will be there for 8 days.

I am trying to decide between metal or canvas. I like the idea of the canvas because overall its cheaper and I can get more creative with the "cluster" look/layout. But im not sure if those conditions will be disastrous for them. One thought is to spray the canvas with the clear spray that you usually put over drawings or paintings to protect them.

Any tips?

Which ever method I choose I will be hanging chains or something like that from the horizontal bar at the top to space them out, and anchor them at the base so the wind effect will hopefully be minimal. :)

I would display a range of product: canvas, paper & metal prints, gallery wraps, float wraps... you never know what's going to appeal to a customer. I very much doubt that in eight days anything short of constant pouring rain or full sun 24 hours a day would be 'disastrous' to the prints. Does your lab not ship the canvas already treated (or provide the option)?

Its a small booth, sometimes less is more so im more showing off my style of photography and what I do than what I offer. I will have some books and albums on a table to draw some people over to show and hopefully make some small talk with. Plus a portrait giveaway contest. :)

And I am hoping to use the prints after the fair, maybe a 2nd fair the week after the next town over, and hopefully at the studio on the one wall to replace the aging work I have there. :)

I was goign to give cgpro.com a try, I think thats the url, they focus on canvas and gliclee *I can never spell that*

Last edited:
Its a small booth, sometimes less is more so im more showing off my style of photography and what I do than what I offer.

And I am hoping to use the prints after the fair, maybe a 2nd fair the week after the next town over, and hopefully at the studio on the one wall to replace the aging work I have there. :)

I was goign to give cgpro.com a try, I think thats the url, they focus on canvas and ink-jet printing *I can never spell that*
FTFY

Okay, fair enough; I'd still go for even an 8x10 display of print, metal, float, gallery... just so that people can see what the same image looks like on different media; some things look stunning on metal, others, no so much. I'm not familiar with cgpro.com, but I'd give their customer service dept. a call and just ask them about protective coatings. My lab offers a choice of two, depending on where the image will be displayed.

Weird, my mispelled gliclee in your quote says ink jet printing. did you change that? :)

What does FTFY stand for? I know most acronyms but not that one. :)

Weird, my mispelled gliclee in your quote says ink jet printing. did you change that? :)

What does FTFY stand for? I know most acronyms but not that one. :)
"Fixed that for you" - meaning that 'giclee' is nothing more than a $50 way of saying "ink jet"...

Most reactions

Back