..Couple mooooore questions!!

Artograph

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First question....anyone heard of "Roxio Media"??? A friend is offering to loan me her disc, and I can't say I've ever heard of it...is it good?? I mostly hear about Photoshop, so I'm assuming that Photoshop is most popular/best????? :confused: (I haven't tried either yet...)

Second, so far I've only been developing pics at my local Shoppers, at the little machine they have. I like the colours I can get, and the black and whites too. Here's the problem....when I get it to print out anything other than the standard 4x6 it tends to chop off part of my pic!! I had this beautiful sunflower pic and when I printed it off in an 8x10 it chopped off the tips of the petals! :meh: Other than sending my stuff away to a digital imaging service...is there anything else I can do to prevent the chopped pics????

Thanks in advance!!! :hail:

:mrgreen:

That's a series of questions.

Ok, I only know Roxio as a hardware seller, they make MP3 players as well. Photoshop is an editing software and should be unrelated to Roxio, unless she has it on her hard drive and is inviting you to install a copy.

An image is an image. It will have a certain "aspect ratio". My camera has a sensor that is 2x3 in dimension. So I can easily print 4x6 inch... but 5x7 does not divide neatly into 2x3. Nor does 8x10, that would be a 4x5 aspect ratio... Are you starting to see the problem? If you double a 4x6, it becomes an 8x12... so if you want to print an 8x10 inch picture, you're going to chop off two inches... it cannot fit into that aspect ratio. Unless they stretch and deform your image.

Iron pretty much nailed it.

Roxio is not really known for image editing or anyting....Adobe is where it's at.

The reason it chops things off at anything other than 4x6 is that 8x10 and all that are not the same aspect ratio. If you blow it up you have to crop one side more than another.

Sooo, basically you are telling me that I will only have success in printing off 4x6s (which I know I can do successfully), ...and subsequently 8x12s only...using the machines at the store?

A digital imaging place would be able to 'correct' the "aspect ratio" for me and be able to print off which ever size I desire though, right??

;O)

Thanks!!

No what you need to do is leave yourself a little more area around your subject so that you can crop the photo to your like and size. If you frame it in your camera exactly how you want it, y must print it to your camera's sensor's aspect ratio it to look that way. Leave yourself a little room and you will be able to make any picture fit any aspect ratio through your cropping.

I have Roxio. It's an ok program...depending upon how much you want to edit. It has the basic contrast/brightness/saturation/sharpness/tint/exposure settings, as well as some tools to fix flaws and basic effects. I've used Photoshop too, but I'm one of those people who believes in leaving their photos as "natural" as possible, so I don't really mess with either. Photoshop is definitely the more powerful program, but for a quick fix, Roxio would probably do the trick. :)

Most reactions

Back