Couple of rocket photos from Houston

dallasimagery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Couple of rocket photos from Houston space center. I knew when I saw this rocket, that I planned on making these b&w to focus on the shape and form. Comments +/- welcome:

5344969119_f8e3b9483b_b.jpg

5345580986_91d3f8c654_b.jpg

Thanks... I can agree with that. Mainly just wanted to focus on the details on the engine and such... hoenstly, it was a vacation photo... just wanted to share the nice B&W aspect and the shape and form

For vacation shots, I like both.

Those are the 5 amazing F-1 rocket engines on the S-IC - 1st stage of a Saturn 5 rocket. The F-1 is the most powerful single-chamber liquid-fueled rocket engine ever developed so far.

The Saturn 5 was 363 feet tall and weighed 6.3 million pounds when fully fueled.

During the 2.5 minute burn of the S-IC, 4,400,000 lbs of liquid oxygen (LOX) and RP-1 (highly refined form of kerosene) were consumed. The S-IC fully fueled accounted for 5 millon of the total 6.3 million pounds a Saturn 5 weighed. LOX and RP-1 are hypergolic, meaning they spontaneously ignite when they come into contact, so an ignition system like the spark plugs in a car engine is not needed.

Those rings around the nozzels are tubes that had LOX circulated through them while the motor was burning fuel. Oxygen is liquid below -297.33 °F. The LOX in the tubes keeps the nozzles from melting from the rocket engine heat.

The ignition sequence for the F-1's started 8.9 seconds before the actual launch. The center engine was started first. Opposing outboard pairs were started at 300-millisecond intervals to reduce the structural loads on the rocket.

Cool photos!

Thanks!

Yeah I wasn't really like, "trying" to create some fantastic shot here, but I did know ahead of time these were slated for black and white to really accentuate the shape and form of the objects, especially the rocket motor. very cool. Plus I shot with a 1ds2 so it shows like, eeeevery little minute detail.

Most reactions

Back