Couple self portrait

jonathon94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm hoping to take a picture of my girlfriend before she moves but she hates cameras. I finally managed to convince her under the condition that we get a few pictures of us together and while I have no idea on how to make something like this look good rather then a picture that my little sister would take. Understand I won't get a dslr for at least another week so I am under the limitations of a point and shoot.Also in the photos I took of her yesterday, she looked great but it was obvious that the aperture was set further then I'd like it (the background was in focus) and the sky was highly over exposed. If this was a still shot I would be thinking her but for a subject who won't stay still what would you suggest?

I'm not sure what you mean by, "If this was a still shot I would be thinking her but for a subject who won't stay still...", however with respect to the other issues: A P&S camera has some limitations. One is that because of the [usually] very small sensor and slow lens, the DoF is much greater than it would be on a larger-format camera. There's nothing you can do to change this, however you can work with it. Look for a suitable background; either something that will look appropriate in focus, such as the two of you against a decorative wall or hedgerow, OR one that doesn't impact at all, such as the ocean or a lake.

As for the over-exposed sky, again, you're limited. The way to deal with this is by adding more light to the subject's to reduce the dynamic range, but unless you have a way to trigger them, you're going to have to adapt. Look for a scene where the sky either won't have an impact/be visible (That decorative wall again), or move into open shade, OR look for a clear, blue sky and shoot early in the morning/later in the evening with the sun on your shoulder.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "If this was a still shot I would be thinking her but for a subject who won't stay still...", however with respect to the other issues: A P&S camera has some limitations. One is that because of the [usually] very small sensor and slow lens, the DoF is much greater than it would be on a larger-format camera. There's nothing you can do to change this, however you can work with it. Look for a suitable background; either something that will look appropriate in focus, such as the two of you against a decorative wall or hedgerow, OR one that doesn't impact at all, such as the ocean or a lake.

As for the over-exposed sky, again, you're limited. The way to deal with this is by adding more light to the subject's to reduce the dynamic range, but unless you have a way to trigger them, you're going to have to adapt. Look for a scene where the sky either won't have an impact/be visible (That decorative wall again), or move into open shade, OR look for a clear, blue sky and shoot early in the morning/later in the evening with the sun on your shoulder.

Oh I'm sorry I was typing it fast with a touch screen phone. I'm surprised there were not more typos :p But I mean't if it was a still scene I would shoot HDR but there would be movement between shots so that is not an option. But I think this afternoon since we have a large pine forest by our houses I will shoot it with us against a tree or some sort of forest shot. Any Opinions?

Also Could underexposing the image with Exposure Compensation help with the sky?

The forest shot may work, just make sure that you avoid dappled light as that can really be very difficult to work with. If you under-expose to prevent the sky blowing out, then you're either going to have a dark foreground, or a noisy one if you try and adjust the exposure in post. You and your girlfriend are the most important aspects of the image, expose for that, and if the sky is blown out, oh well.

The forest shot may work, just make sure that you avoid dappled light as that can really be very difficult to work with. If you under-expose to prevent the sky blowing out, then you're either going to have a dark foreground, or a noisy one if you try and adjust the exposure in post. You and your girlfriend are the most important aspects of the image, expose for that, and if the sky is blown out, oh well.

Alright thank you :) I'm going over there in about an hour. I'll try to post the results up tonight

Due to some weird issues I can't upload so here is the frop box link: http://db.tt/sBrF2cRc

Anyways sadly this was the best I was able to achieve and even this is very noisy and I still have my original aperture issue. Anyone that is good at Photoshop/Gimp have any ideas for touching up? And Photography advice on this photo would be GREAT

Last edited:
That link doesn't work. Upload to photobucket or flickr, get the Direct Link, click on the little image box and enter the URL (uncheck the box below) and then it'll show.

That link doesn't work. Upload to photobucket or flickr, get the Direct Link, click on the little image box and enter the URL (uncheck the box below) and then it'll show.

images

Most reactions

Back