courtyard entrance

meotter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
IMG_2163.jpg

I know what I wanted to capture when I shot this, but when I got home, the image leaves me flat and emotionless. So basically I missed my mark baddly.

What would you have done differently?

This shot might look really cool at night time with the wall light just before the gate turned on and the light at the house on too. And maybe from a slightly different angle... say looking up a bit from knee height. Like you're a little kid lost, trying to find your way home by the lights. I dunno. Just throwing up ideas.

Yeah, a night shot sonds good.
The corridor doesnot look good, so if it was much more dark, and the house was lit by morning warm light, perhaps it would be better. You can try to do it in PS

Nice area. You've centered the lighted portion of the image in the frame. One gate open, one closed. Approaching symetrical, which I like, but would like more if you get the vertical lines vertical. Good idea!

I don't know what you could have done differently then, but I think your image would be a lot better if you cropped a good bit off both top and bottom.:)

yeah what the other folk said... and composition... the image is centered, never a good thing unless you have a striking subject... try low and to the left don't worry that the line will all go wonky... just fix the perspective in PS...

IMHO this shot has a lot of potential. I agree that it needs some cropping (esp at the top) and that the vertical lines need to be vertical. Is it possible that the shot leaves you flat because there's not enough difference between the light in the courtyard and the light in the hallway? Does the shot need a brighter day? Look at your post "untitled." Lots more impact for me and lots more difference in the light. Just a thought.

I think the gate and the courtyard behind it is pretty hot in terms of potential but unfortunatly the walls of the hallway totally ruin it for me. I'd try anything that I could to either get them out of the shot or make them as un-noticable as possible.

IMG_2163_courtyard.jpg

how about this? better? still needs work? i rotated image 1*, cropped the image all around, and burned the shadowy corridor.

i had played with an even tighter crop on the top, right & bottom, (eliminating the wall that juts out on the right, half the vent on the left top corner, & just some more stone pathway, but kept it in with the notion that it's easier to remove, then to add back :p

much better, see how the elimination of un-needed forground strengthens the composition... well done...

thanks for the comments :) really appreciate them :)

I adjusted it a bit in Photoshop. I would suggest you do something like this for the photograph:

gateway.jpg

If you would like me to remove it I will. :)

Most reactions

Back