Cowboy or barfly?

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was in a bar outside of town to photograph a press conference yesterday. The convicted killer of the bar owner's daughter committed suicide the night before. While I was shooting the guy I noticed this fella sitting at the bar in the background of my shots. I started watching him since I had all the photos I needed. After a minute or two the guy walked over to out left and started staring out the window. I couldn't pass up the chance for a quick shot of the guy.

Nikon D3s
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
ISO 640
f/1.4 @ 1/800th sec

cowboy.jpg

Its a great picture. Tell me, have you taken pics of strangers before? What is their reaction? I get so scared taking pictures of other people wondering what they might say. :(

Hey guys, thar's the beer truck!!!

Great shot Dan! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

nice candid

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/42960.htmlCloudwalker, always a pleasure to chat with you.

Its a great picture. Tell me, have you taken pics of strangers before? What is their reaction? I get so scared taking pictures of other people wondering what they might say. :(

I've pretty much made my career out of photographing strangers. It can be awkward at first but once you get over your own nervousness and realize most people don't care and aren't going to attack you then it's quite easy.

And thank you, everyone!

Excellent shot! I love the blinds leading to him, and the jukebox in the background, and the splashes of light on the floor--all really wonderful elements that give a real feel of being right there! Good shootin!

I agree with a lot of the above comments and enjoy this shot. I enjoy the interpretation that comes with the shot and wondering what he is a looking at or for.

One question though....why such a high shutter 1/800 and moderate ISO of 640?

I agree with a lot of the above comments and enjoy this shot. I enjoy the interpretation that comes with the shot and wondering what he is a looking at or for.

One question though....why such a high shutter 1/800 and moderate ISO of 640?

I was initially shooting an interview with another guy, f/2 with a much slower shutter speed because he was standing away from the window. When I saw the guy approach the window I just opened up to f/1.4 to separate from the background and cranked up my shutter to compensate for the stronger light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back