Coworker selling me Leica M2?

Try a smartphone light metering app before deciding you need to spend $100 to $300. I had one for my iPhone a few years back..it worked splendidly...dead-on accurate compared against an expensive Minolta flash/ambient meter in reflected light mode...don't kid yourself: a smartphone is a sophisticated device, MUCH more-so than older, 1980's technology found in reflected light meters from Sekonic or Gossen or Minolta, and PLENTY capable of giving accurate, reliable readings, with the added bonus of an easily-seen metering area, AND in the case of the app I had, capable of snapping a photo of the metered scene, with the metering bracket area shown in the photo, with the ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed recommended as part of the photo. In other words, far more advnaced than a traditional light meter: the ability to SHOOT a picture of the metered scene, with the data saved as part of the photo...perfect for creating a library of scene shots and recommended exposures.

Exposure metering is not terrifically difficult; a smartphone application can EASILY match the accuracy of any hand-held reflected light meter I've ever owned, and the degree of precision, with the AF-square-like bracket area showing what is being metered? That's better than traditional, non-spot-meter types of hand-held meters. Not sure why, but I have seen a lot of bias here against smart phone metering apps...my experience is completely opposite...I prefer the smart phone app to old-technology reflected might metering.

Try a smartphone light metering app before deciding you need to spend $100 to $300. I had one for my iPhone a few years back..it worked splendidly...dead-on accurate compared against an expensive Minolta flash/ambient meter in reflected light mode...don't kid yourself: a smartphone is a sophisticated device, MUCH more-so than older, 1980's technology found in reflected light meters from Sekonic or Gossen or Minolta, and PLENTY capable of giving accurate, reliable readings, with the added bonus of an easily-seen metering area, AND in the case of the app I had, capable of snapping a photo of the metered scene, with the metering bracket area shown in the photo, with the ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed recommended as part of the photo. In other words, far more advnaced than a traditional light meter: the ability to SHOOT a picture of the metered scene, with the data saved as part of the photo...perfect for creating a library of scene shots and recommended exposures.

Exposure metering is not terrifically difficult; a smartphone application can EASILY match the accuracy of any hand-held reflected light meter I've ever owned, and the degree of precision, with the AF-square-like bracket area showing what is being metered? That's better than traditional, non-spot-meter types of hand-held meters. Not sure why, but I have seen a lot of bias here against smart phone metering apps...my experience is completely opposite...I prefer the smart phone app to old-technology reflected might metering.

Thanks, I'll look into those apps. I actually ended up using a sunny 16 calculator app on my phone for some test shots yesterday, but perhaps this would work even better.

Gosh man... Leica accessories aren't cheap! Light meters, cases, straps... all expensive stuff.
You need a plan: wait until someone else offers you those accessories at garage sale prices.

He is in the Leica universe now ... he must now obtain all the dedicated Leica branded accessories in order to maintain stability. Any deviance will cause much social fallout, and in some cases is illegal !!! The Brotherhood of Leica is always watching.

He is in the Leica universe now ... he must now obtain all the dedicated Leica branded accessories in order to maintain stability. Any deviance will cause much social fallout, and in some cases is illegal !!! The Brotherhood of Leica is always watching.

Fight the machine. Rage against it, even.

Leica is at war with Nikon. Leica has always been at war with Nikon.

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I paid $850 for my M2 body a few months ago. It's a "user" meaning it's got scratches and things.. If that lens comes with it.. well, I bought one about a month ago for $1000 ..

if it were a friend, i'd probably feel guilty paying so little as your original post for it..

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I paid $850 for my M2 body a few months ago. It's a "user" meaning it's got scratches and things.. If that lens comes with it.. well, I bought one about a month ago for $1000 ..

if it were a friend, i'd probably feel guilty paying so little as your original post for it..

He's moreso a coworker than friend. A good guy. And he knew he was selling it under value. I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth, but thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Just finished the thread. You've probably figured by now, the whirring is normal. Your friend is very generous and you are super lucky. I'd skip the leica meter and just use a Sekonic or something. I use a 308s.

For lenses, look into Voigtlander, or old screwmount lenses from either Leica or Canon, they're cheap.. relatively speaking, and you can use an adapter to make them work on the M.

here's mine, fellow leica brother

mine.jpg

I owned a Voigtlander Bessa system...the lenses from that rangefinder system are pretty good, and affordable, especially compared against Leica- or Leitz-branded lenses. There are some neat Voigtlander accessories, like their beautiful accessory bright line viewfinders, which slide into the accessory shoe, and which give a really good representation of the field of view of accessory lenses. The basic Leica M-series camera was designed to work great with a 50mm lens; when you start using longer lenses, like a 75mm or a 90mm, then the bright lines in the camera's finder show a rather small representation of what those longer lenses "see". An accessory finder gives a larger, clearer, sharper view for long lenses, AND is also great for wide-angle lenses too.

If you want to shoot some really wiiiiiiiide-angle stuff, Voigtlander made a very nice Super-Wide Heliar, a 15mm f/4.5 aspherical element design lens, which needs an accessory finder. This 15mm lens was the first really affordable wide-wide rfdr. lens, the one that really got the ball rolling. Now? They have even-wider lenses!

If you want some GREAT information on lenses, accessories, and general rangefinder talk, my favorite site is Stephen Gandy's "Cameraquest". He's been on the web for around 20 years now! CameraQuest Home Page

THIS is _the page_ for rangefinder classic articles!!!! Classic Camera Profiles It has loads of informative articles!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back