CPU moniters...How important is quality? and how to calibra

crystalview

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm just curious...How important do you think it is to spend a decent amount of money on a better than average moniter?

The reason I ask is that I have a pretty cheap moniter at home. At work, I have a decent one. but I do all of my photo editing at home. My pictures show up much darker at work, at home they are fine. I'm a little worried that I either (A) have a cheap moniter that is giving me false colors, contrast, and the like or (b) My calibration is off at home or at work. Im worried. But dont have the cash to buy a new moniter right now.

I have seen those black to white scales before, but (unless im looking at it wrong) both ends of the spectrum show up just fine. Any hints on how to make SURE that I have my moniter set up correctly???

Thanks and take care! -J

they are color profiles for you monitor. Basically the icc files hold the configuration info for brightness, contrast, grama settings.

hmmm...ok...

thanks. I think my monitor at home is fine actually. the link you gave me works great

the work one is really bad. dark.

Thanks man...I appreciate it. I was just worried that every picture I take, that looks as if its too dark or light or the color is off or whatever could be because of my moniter. I think im in the clear though. we'll see.

-jared stillwell

In order to get the best results and conistency out of your monitor, it does have to be calibrated using a colorimeter of some sort fairly often. Flat LCD/ TFT monitors tend to shift a lot more than CRT monitors. You can use the cheaper monitors to edit your work but will probably have to calibrate them more often and they probably won't support the full gamut of the color spectrum. I calibrate my LCD at least once a week making sure to update my printer ICC profile also so color is consitent from input to output. Don't know how serious you are into editing photos, etc., but they do make reference monitors for graphics applications for a premium price. Most do come with there own calibration hardware and software though.

Most reactions

Back