Craig's list Chimes in on photo market

The one problem, is that I may know nothing about the law, but there's a degree on your wall, So I guess thats good enough to satisfy me.
Technically speaking there's a degree (and license) gathering dust at the back of one of my closets, but point taken.

I keep wondering what people like me, who are total noobs but love photography and wish to get better should do? Someone tell me. I am no where good enough to charge people (or at least by my standards) but I want experience so I offer my photos for free in exchange for the expierence of shooting a child or family. I would love to try out other types of photography too.

But what do I do? Practice on dolls until I get good enough to charge what "professionals" charge?

imho, all the debate about pros getting undercut seems silly... it is the way of the world... it's like Mystywalker said about the tennis shoes... ur not gonna go to a store that sells Nike and ask for the Walmart price, just like ur not gonna go to Walmart and look for Nikes (and if u did, ur not gonna get very far)... there is every level of consumer in the market, just as there is every level of product available... should Nike say it is unfair for Walmart to sell $20 tennis shoes because they are stealing their business? of course not! a consumer who can afford a pro photographer hires one, and someone who is willing to sacrifice quality for a cheaper price hires someone who will do it for less... the issue of undercutting only enters, imo, when someone who CAN & DOES produce professional quality results sells for less than the standard professional price... but even then, the photographer IS FREE TO CHOOSE how much they wish to charge... after all, selling photos is a business, just like any other... the marketplace is full of competition and competition is fierce... it's a reality that just has to be accepted... Jedo_03 has it right, exploitation is a way of life in the business world... I work for a small company with less than 10 employees. Last month the business owner decided (WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE) that he was going to reduce his contribution to the employees health insurance from 75% to 50%. This caused a 142% increase in the cost of insurance for employees, the price going from $36 bi-weekly to $88 bi-weekly. That's the equivalent of a $.65 cent reduction in my hourly pay! And why? So that he could save $42 per employee per month! On top of that, the owner NEVER told us that he reduced his contribution! Nice guy, huh?

I have no problem buying things cheaper as long as they're not made in China.

Craig's List is free right? You can ask any stupid question?

I'm a pretty firm believer in, "You get what you pay for."

And no, that situation wouldn't be pretty good for a highschool kid. The numbers don't mesh. I do real estate photography. There's certain realities that are being ignored or overlooked. Check it out; go to a page in a residential phonebook and pick four listings in a row. Maybe under the 'C's or something. Drive to those addresses and snap four pictures, slightly different views. The funny part is you don't have to get out of your car! Time yourself start to finish. When you get home, consider you would've made $40. Wait, put those shots online and record your work, type up a bill and collect from the cheap sob. Cash the check and if it clears fill up the car and do it again. Keep in mind that for one agent you'll probably only have maybe 2-3 listings a week tops.

Both my clients and myself prefer the quality work thing. At least for the last 10 years or so. Maybe that'll change tomorrow by someone that is only going to charge 10 cents on my dollar. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

I advertise on Craigslist. I figure it's somewhere else to put my advert. If I'm too expensive for the majority then so what? If I'm too cheap then so what?

Most reactions

Back