Crazy idea to control fungus... will it work?

chirantha7777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking of buying some Silica and placing it between the front element and the UV filter using a double side tape along the edge of the filter.

If what said is true... I think the gels should suck away any moisture from the Lens as well as the camera body!

Might be crazy enough to work....

I thought of putting them inside the body bottom... but the thought of the double side tape failing and the silica jamming the camera is too scary to me.

D5100 - 18-105 lens

You're right - crazy idea.

I used UV filters on all my lenses for 40 years when shooting film and never had any problem with fungus. If you're so worried about it remove the filter when not using it or just don't use it; most DSLR users will tell you that it is just not necessary and only degrades your image.

As far as putting anything inside your camera, the only things I would put in are the battery and memory card. Why you think that you can secure silica gel inside the camera body securely enough to avoid it coming loose and fouling the shutter and mirror mechanisms is beyond me. The silica gel would have to be replaced on a regular basis and sooner or later you would have some expensive damage to the camera internals.

If you are regularly using the camera in high humidity then you can dismount the lens from the body and put both in an air tight bag or container with a cloth bag containing silca gel - no danger of damage to the camera then.

Why?

Are you planning on not using your camera & lens for several months?

As a precaution I spray my gear with Tinactin.

You could get an airtight container and a vacuum pump. :D

Without air, neither moisture nor oxygen will be available for any fungus. :D

SCNR

Fungus typically only effects lenses sitting in storage for years. If u use your lenses regularly the sunlight and fresh air keeps fungus at bay.

That said, if u plan on storing always use those silca packets to keep moisture down, but u can just keep them in your lens bag.

As I understand it, fungus is a HUGE problem in many areas in South Asia and in other tropical climes throughout the world. In places like Seattle, and Scotland...it's mostly a theoretical concept. I note that the OP is from Sri Lanka in south Asia...fungus is probably a fairly common issue there.

Without air, neither moisture nor oxygen will be available for any fungus. :D

No moisture, yes. But plenty of fungi are anaerobic. Not sure what kind of fungi affect lenses, but I doubt that there is a whole lot of air or misture for that matter between lens elements (where fungi is frequently found), and so I am thinking lens fungi is pretty resilient.

Moisture seems to be the best way to avoid it, and packing with silica gel is probably the best option. Eucalyptus leaves may also help, provided the oil from the leaves don't end up depositing onto the lens. Cedar chips and leaves may also help.

Mully said:
Do you then put them in a jock strap to protect from shock?

Is this not normal procedure for all photographers?

As I understand it, fungus is a HUGE problem in many areas in South Asia and in other tropical climes throughout the world. In places like Seattle, and Scotland...it's mostly a theoretical concept. I note that the OP is from Sri Lanka in south Asia...fungus is probably a fairly common issue there.

I am fully aware that there is a greater risk of fungal infestation in the tropics having spent time working there on several occasions. Also anyone who has spent time in Scotland will be aware of just how wet and humid it can be. The problem is to keep the equipment dry and the way to do that is not to put silica gel inside the camera body but to put the camera body in a dry environment such as an air tight container contains a bag of silica gel.

Most reactions

Back