Creating a home studio for taking pictures of clothes

Frant1996

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello dear friends
I have a lot of clothes that I want to wear them to the mannequin and photograph for my own work.
Until now, it was like that I was taking photos and give them to the graphic artist to remove the mannequin with Photoshop and just use the photo of the dress alone.
It is very time consuming and costly for me
I want to build a small studio in the corner of my room ... At a minimal cost
To wear clothes to the mannequin, photograph, and no longer need to be edited
I have no expertise in photography ... I only have an amateur canon camera
Can you guide me to build such a studio?
what should I buy?
thank you in advance

Welcome!

A tripod. ($100 or less, used.)
A remote shutter cable. ($15 )
Lighting. (Lights on a stand, with a diffuser, $100)
Backdrop. (possibly free)

Hello dear friends
I have a lot of clothes that I want to wear them to the mannequin and photograph for my own work.
Until now, it was like that I was taking photos and give them to the graphic artist to remove the mannequin with Photoshop and just use the photo of the dress alone.
what should I buy?
thank you in advance

A little clarification....As I understand it, now you photograph the clothes on a mannequin then have someone remove the parts of the mannequin that show, leaving you with only the clothes? Is this what you intend to continue doing??? Also specifically what camera and lens do you have?

This is a portrait vid example but may be a good starting point for ideas. He shows how simple of a setup you can use and a small/portable setup in case you don’t have much space.

If you have a large enough, dedicated space then you can go way beyond this and his vid probably won’t apply but if smaller and you are possibly looking for portable give it a watch. Some good info in there.

Couple of mannequin vid examples

It will help me to know,
What canon camera
Do you have EOS utility software and can you tether your canon to a pc /laptop
Point to remember is that some fabrics will give that crazy waves effect when photographing Moyer I think it’s called.
If you can tether you can adjust lighting clothing in real time

Hello dear friends
what should I buy?
thank you in advance

A little clarification....As I understand it, now you photograph the clothes on a mannequin then have someone remove the parts of the mannequin that show, leaving you with only the clothes? Is this what you intend to continue doing??? Also specifically what camera and lens do you have?
Hello dear friends
what should I buy?
thank you in advance

In fact, the camera I have is an old model of Canon, powershot a2200 HD

I work as a freelance photographer, so I have to have my own equipment at home and build my own studio. This cloth is one of my work samples for a website when I was working with a graphic artist. But now I want to do everything myself

I am just now thinking of a professional camera and a curtain to make the background ... because the wall of my room is wallpaper ... until now there were two light bulbs, one moonlight and one low energy light in the room and I was photography. It wasn't too bad ... just my background wasn't good and I had to edit it!
Where can I get a curtain? I have to get it for the floor too, right? I think I'm going to get the curtain, for now, to see how its background is, then go to the lighting equipment.
Another question is what color to wear so that I can photograph all the colors of the suit? Another question is what color suits the curtain that I can photograph all clothes with any colors

Ok re post 8
You are wet out of my realm now. I have no fashion sense and no idea of what colours mix. Therefore, I exit stage left

@Frant1996 I have an even older PowerShot that I sometimes carry when I don't want to lug all the gear. Great little camera that does a good job for snap shots but not the best for what you want to accomplish.

You really need to start with a better DSLR, and depending on your space a lens in the 50-100 mm range. A tripod for camera, a couple of off camera speedlights with soft softboxes, stands and wireless triggers (or a long pc sync cord for one and set the other as a slave). To get the floating in air effect for ease of selection later you need a Chroma Key or green screen background. You could use cloth, paper, etc, but as space is an issue, these are really nice https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Green...screen+background+stand&qid=1574769509&sr=8-9 . Finally you need a fairly descent computer with sufficient speed/ram and an editing program like Photoshop. Based on The fact that you're starting from scratch, depending on if you already have the computer, and what you can find used I can easily see a budget of $1,000 US to get set up, if you need the computer then the budget goes way up.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@Frant1996 I have an even older PowerShot that I sometimes carry when I don't want to lug all the gear. Great little camera that does a good job for snap shots but not the best for what you want to accomplish.

You really need to start with a better DSLR, and depending on your space a lens in the 50-100 mm range. A tripod for camera, a couple of off camera speedlights with soft softboxes, stands and wireless triggers (or a long pc sync cord for one and set the other as a slave). To get the floating in air effect for ease of selection later you need a Chroma Key or green screen background. You could use cloth, paper, etc, but as space is an issue, these are really nice https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Green...screen+background+stand&qid=1574769509&sr=8-9 . Finally you need a fairly descent computer with sufficient speed/ram and an editing program like Photoshop. Based on The fact that you're starting from scratch, depending on if you already have the computer, and what you can find used I can easily see a budget of $1,000 US to get set up, if you need the computer then the budget goes way up.
Thank you for your complete explanation. I need to get all the equipment you said one by one, which requires a lot of patience and money:D
And this background you mentioned is great to me

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
this background you mentioned is great to me

The videos posted further up look to be a good source of information on what you're trying to do. Also another on how to select a delete the green screen in Photoshop. . I'm thinking maybe painting your mannequin a Chroma Key color might also help in getting the completely floating look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back