Creating a Style!

Calypso b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

There are a couple of different styles of portrait photography that I have seen and really loved, however I am unsure as to how the photographer achieved these effects. I know that it would be disrespectful to post an artists work without their approval. What would be the best way to find out how the work was created?

You can post links to their work.

Have you tried just asking them? Not everyone considers what they do and how they do it a big secret (although obviously, some do), and will share their techniques and experiences with others.

I know that it would be disrespectful to post an artists work without their approval. What would be the best way to find out how the work was created?
Posting their work without their expressed written approval could be far worse than just disrespectful, it could be copyright infringement.

Pretty much all photography forums have a rule/reg like The Photo Forum has, because of copyright law:
The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - FAQ

* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

A working photographers style is something that is never static. It continually changes to meet what consumers want.

Very few photographers create a new style. For the most part they just copy a style someone else developed. The current most popular style is being used thousands of portrait photographers, because that's what customers want to buy.

I realize this, hence the reason I did not post the photos. I appreciate the long winded lecture though old man.

ok umm it is fine to post a link to a photo as long as you are not claiming it to be your own. if any old person can stumble upon it while searching the web then there is no problem referencing it. I can tell you how the portrait shots are done if you show me a photo.

Well can you describe the styles? Or refer the name of one of the photographers so we can look at their work?

that is just what these forums are for - sharing ideas. that is why i am here.
let us know what to look at & we can help!

The forums are for making the forum owners some money.

The forum membership provides free content.

The photographers that I admire so can be viewed at this website:

Fuller Edge Photography

Wow...almost all post work and almost no training in composition or photography...seriously??? You admire that degree of skill?

All you need to do is buy 30 or 40 Photroshop actions, some Nik Effects software, and practice for 90 days...no camera-handling skill needed...clearly, a self-taught, untrained shooter that processes the **** out of so-so snaps.

I don't know that I would be as critical as Derrel, but he's right about the amount of post-processing that is going on with this photographer. There are several different styles at play here though - which ones do you prefer?

Well I can clearly see that not every photo is perfect, that is clearly part of their style! I disagree that there is no training in composition and photography. Just because one may choose to "break the rules" so to speak, does not mean that they were not trained. I like that it is not classic portrait photography. I think the composition and lighting in these photos are so unusual and edgy. I love that.

Oh and just so you know they were named top 50 wedding photographers in Canada by Wedding Bells Magazine.

Thanks for the input though - much appreciated!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back