Chris of Arabia

Herding cats since 1988...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's my first post here, so perhaps you'll excuse me.

Here I am in the middle of Riyadh with very little access to a decent photographic store. I need to do some pictures of some greetings cards my wife is making for a small website - essentially a bit of low level commercial photography.

The things I have to hand are my Canon 350D, a tripod, a Speedlite 430EX and a selection of lenses from 10-200mm, including a 60mm macro lens. What I don't have is much else, except what I can grab from a local craft shop or stationers - think foamboard, card, tracing paper etc...

I'm particularly interested in how I might use what I have to create a simple lighting setup to do her cards a bit of justice. Can anyone suggest a setup that would help me get a reasonable result, without having to escape the country and raid Jessops next time I'm in the UK?

>;o))

Get a cardboard box. Cut large windows in each side of the box , and glue tissue paper on the inside. Then add any kind of lighting to the sides.

Cut on side of the box off, so it looks like this |_| but flipped over. Then you can use material or posterboard as a background. It's a cheap lightbox.

More here: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

Thanks for that, useful link there - sure I can manage that without a problem. Do you have any particular suggestions about getting the exposures right with that type of setup?

>;o))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back