Creative Anxiety

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone deal with Creative Anxiety before a shoot?
This sense that you have no idea what you're doing and that they're kinda secretly hoping the shoot gets cancelled so you can wallow and hide.

It's the equivalent to performance anxiety or stage fright. It's sort of like the Imposter Syndrome for the successful.

Yes, and this is exactly why I don't take on projects that don't inspire me anymore. I have a day job so I'm able to have the luxury of being choosy when it comes to photography projects.

More like a nagging doubt that I'm going to f**k something up beyond all recognition because of carelessness or lack of attention.

I can relate to that.

More like a nagging doubt that I'm going to f**k something up beyond all recognition because of carelessness or lack of attention.
I am meticulous with my check list.
But the results are a collaboration between the client and me. And sometimes the client just doesn't "bring it" or is completely unable to follow directions leaving us with insipid though technically well executed results.

I get a certain amount of nervous excitement getting up in front of people, I think some of that is normal. It helps to know what you're doing, and I think experience builds confidence.

It seems like you're putting it on the client... you get all kinds, some people can follow directions better than others, or warm up to people more quickly than others. It takes knowing how to work with all kinds of people. Maybe portraits aren't really your thing, or you might need to develop skills in working with people.

Another photographer asked me to shoot a big deal event for him and I backed away. I don't have the needed equipment, haven't shot with a flash on my Sony bodies - and just didn't want to learn in front of an acquaintance.

Yes. When I was working news ... Every Jammin' Day.

When I was shooting news, my base anxiety of not being capable was multiplied because the photog on the right of me and the photog on the left of me were some of the best photographers in the world. In the morning my editors would compare my photos to the competition ... Then I was really screwed. When I arrive on assignment I see what lenses the real pros were using, squeezed in where the real pros were standing ... and somehow I managed to get by.

I hear you. My anxiety causes anxiety.

Most reactions

Back