Creative block... i need help big time!!

it happens to everyone, certainly ... I just quit with photography for a couple of days, even weeks then .. it always comes back ;)

Same...just walk away and "live life" for a bit...eventually inspiration and fun come back. Stop for a while if it starts feeling like it's forced, or it's a chore.

It's been 25 years since my first dark-room class, and I've never had a day where I don't see one thing per hour that I wish I could capture a certain way. If after eight months you've run out of inspiration, you might want to check what drives you to photograph... there might be even better outlets for you. Maybe you're more of a painter or cinematographer, or more of a gearhead rather than a creative person. There's no shame in getting to know yourself by trying and discarding things.

Hmm, I've experienced block several times.
I disagree with IronF, just becaus he's got a block doesn't mean that he has to stop photographing and just forget about it. It's just like picking up a guitar, learn a few chords then throwing it away after bumping to something difficult.

But I certainly don't think that was your intention IronF. I just read it that way.

Anyway, give the block time, it will go away.

Right well...

... very annoying. Last year when i was in college we learned a lot of techniques for maximizing our creativity some of which were actually really useful but its been so long since ive been in a design technology that ive forgotten everything. ...

You didn't learn it if you forgot it. Did you take notes? Have you read them?

Sounds like you want to be spoon fed, wait until uni? Are you serious about this? School teaches you about the tools. If you shove the tool box down the alley, go home and the tools end up missing, then it's like IF mentioned, maybe it's best if you locked up the shop and moved on.

Just because the weather isn't 'sunny and birds are singing' doesn't mean the outdoors has evaporated. Put some effort into it.

Hmm, I've experienced block several times.
I disagree with IronF, just becaus he's got a block doesn't mean that he has to stop photographing and just forget about it. It's just like picking up a guitar, learn a few chords then throwing it away after bumping to something difficult.

But I certainly don't think that was your intention IronF. I just read it that way.

Anyway, give the block time, it will go away.

I agree with Iron Flatline but understand your position. This forum is loaded with teenagers that likely won't be here a year from now. This is Photography, There is no little legue here, the only way to get in is to try out. Not every one will make the team, but those who try can hold their head up high and say they tried if they didn't, and there is nothing stopping them from trying out again later on.

Looking into what drives one to photograph can have several different results. One could realize that "well this ain't my thing" Ok, No harm in trying. There are also possibilities that maybee they could discover that what they are trying to do is getting further and further away form the original motivation to take up a camera or their original reason is no longer satisfactory or even complete. Maybee they realize their expectations where too high and they are dissatisfied with proformance and that thay are trying too hard. The only way to find out is to look at why one picked up that camera in the first place. With the number of possibilities the only failure is not looking into the original motivation.

I feel any one going threw creative block should look at why they took up the camera.

When your in education your teacher should Inspire you but unfortunately that's hardly ever the case. One of my teachers is good but I hardly ever have him.
If you're thinking of uni take plenty of time to think about other things besides the course such as the location. I'm hoping to go to London because that's where the work will be.

Creative block can happen to EVERYONE and is no cause to really put down the camera for good. November is a good month for many to go through this block since the whole world goes bleak, why not your inside, too? It is a bit of a winter depression.

I often feel I have meanwhile photographed every twig and blade of grass that is around me and there is NOTHING NEW. Then going to a place (with the camera) where I have NEVER been sometimes helps. Though, on the other hand, being in a place for the first time only gives you "first impressions", and that might lead to nothing but touristy shots (nothing against tourists and their taking photos, I am one of them ever so often, myself!!!), since you not necessarily have the time to develop a feeling for the place, often you have taken your photos BEFORE you really get that (given you only travel there for a day or so).

But whatever you do, try to offer your eyes (also your photography-eye) something new, if possible. Maybe that "new thing" is even inside your own home, and you start taking close-ups of things inside the house or start playing with light right inside your own home?

But sometimes you also just have to sit through your photographical depression and wait for things to perk up.

Sheesh people, I didn't mean it as a criticism... maybe the OP is genuinely creative, but photography may not be the right creative outlet.

Creativity is as much as about medium as it is about results. If the person still wants to express himself, but can't get it up for photography, that doesn't make it an indictment of him.

Otherwise, I must say... get out and shoot. Keep shooting. Then do more of it. At some point you'll find yourself trying to get something a certain way, and then you'll be angry enough to keep on keeping on till you get it to look the way you pictured it.

Also, new gear helps.

There, I said it.

Happy Hannukah.

Most reactions

Back