Creative placement of watermarks?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always put my watermarks on the bottom right of my images, relatively small. But I'm wondering if maybe I should put more effort into placing the watermark in a different place based on the image?

Here's an example from a wedding I did this weekend.

Kathy and Phil Wedding Preview - Daryll Morgan Photography-1.jpg Kathy and Phil Wedding Preview - Daryll Morgan Photography-2b.jpg

In the first image, I have the watermark in my standard spot, but in the second image, I have it sort of warped around the hill, closer to the center of the frame, with lower opacity.

And yes, I realize, it would look best without a watermark at all (which is what the client will get), but I prefer to watermark my images when used on social media.

Thanks!

I like the subtlety of the second one, but prefer the standard placement in the first.

I've struggled with placement. I actually like the 2nd, but is it worth the work to custom watermark every image?

What is your purpose for a water mark?

If it is for image protection do whatever since it is a loosing battle.
If it is for brand recognition I would say uniformity of placement would be the key.
Personally if it's going on a website, having the watermark jumping all around to suite each image would annoy me, but then again I like the simplicity of knowing where to look.

What is your purpose for a water mark?

If it is for image protection do whatever since it is a loosing battle.
If it is for brand recognition I would say uniformity of placement would be the key.
Personally if it's going on a website, having the watermark jumping all around to suite each image would annoy me, but then again I like the simplicity of knowing where to look.

+1

Don’t watermark. I’m sorry but I just think it’s looks tacky no matter where you put it.

For an alternative put a signature on the image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understanding that "protection" is a bit of a myth as far as watermarks go, when I'm sending out an image that I feel might "accidentally" get used by the client, I give subtlety a miss altogether.
Proof_Example.jpg

For images where I just want my name on it, I go with your standard, I use the lower, left-hand corner and about 50% opacity white text.

Your watermark doesnt include a mustache or mustache related theme, therefor it is invalid.

I only "watermark" pics I'm putting up on my Flickr page.

I handle proofing images like tirediron does.

I do have a few presets for watermarking depending on the layout of the picture, but only for which corner the watermark will go in. I don't get any fancier than that

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I always liked my approach:

75309d1367428638-1st-timer-miata-girl-braineack.jpg

I appreciate your feedback, but my question wasn't "should I use a watermark?"

I already know it's not very effective in preventing theft or anything. It's moreso just a signature for me, and I like using it. I'm just wondering if there is a better way I can use it.

And I do the same "PROOF" watermark as you, John, for client proofs, and the same font and size actually haha.

I'm just wondering if there is a better way I can use it.

And I do the same "PROOF" watermark as you, John, for client proofs, and the same font and size actually haha.

Maybe a combination of Proof idea and watermark, I never did like that ugly PROOF stamped on a photo.
idea 2.jpg

Or if it's just about the name.
IDEA1.jpg

I already know it's not very effective in preventing theft or anything. It's moreso just a signature for me, and I like using it. I'm just wondering if there is a better way I can use it.

I like the subtle "integrated" ones if you're going to bother at all. it's more like a signature on a painting.

I'd still only then do it for show.

I prefer the standard bottom right corner. The watermark itself could use an update. Pretty easy to draw a signature or a sweet stash in Photoshop and save (.PNG I think supports transparency?)

I prefer the standard bottom right corner. The watermark itself could use an update. Pretty easy to draw a signature or a sweet stash in Photoshop and save (.PNG I think supports transparency?)

I don't like the cursive/script look. It's often hard to read, and in my opinion, cliche.

Most reactions

Back