Critics wanted: 2 last waterfall photos

jbaseball2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am exploring learning more about landscape and waterfall photography. Below are two more shots from my first attempts. (I also posted one more shot for advice in a different thread).

I really need some constructive, if not blunt, comments on these shots. Please do not hold back to try and not hurt my feelings...I need to learn, and only from honest reviews will I improve....

Any advice or comments on the following are greatly appreciated:

Composition
Exposure
Color Saturation
Overall impact (are these just another two waterfall pictures, or are they starting to emerge as a higher tier?)

I greatly appreciate your time, knowledge and honesty.

waterfall-3.jpg

Nikon D80, 18-55, 1/2 sec, f/11, ISO 200

waterfall-4.jpg

Nikon D80, 18-55, 1.3 sec, f/16, ISO 200

on #2 I might shift your composition a bit right so that the stream flows into a vanishing point in the photo, rather than off the edge. that should help keep the eye in your picture. I like the leading line of the log and the moss.

They are both underexposed. Because you're last one was as well, you may need to adjust your monitor. Of course, calibrating is the best way to go, but you gotta buy stuff. Compositionally, they're not doing much for me. I wish I could tell you exactly why but I'm not experienced enough to put my finger on it. Perhaps it's that a waterfall isn't really much of a subject by itself persay, simply because it's a white, mostly detail-less streak. Take a look at really nice waterfall shots and I bet you'll see that they are a small in the frame and are the focal point of a larger landscape composition, or perhaps it's a waterfall amid bright red and yellow fall leaves. I just don't think a waterfall by itself stands much of a chance. The moss in that area gives you this much needed color/texture interest. I'd play around with that idea. Use the waterfall as a compositional element, but make the moss or a mossy rock, or a colorful rock, or a batch of colorful flowers the subject.

I will have to look into getting my monitor calibrated...thanks!

I lightened both photos and also have a shot that is bit to the right....Any comments on the below images?

Specifically:

1) On your monitor do they appear better exposed?
2) Is the composition in 3 better than in 2? Or is is just different and not necessarily "better"....if there is one that it better; then why?

I am heading out the middle of this week for a full day of shooting....hopefully I can remember many of your comments and improve...I great appreciate this forum's help!

I live in a rural part of Washington State with the nearest camera club 70 miles away, so I don't get to talk to many experienced enthusiasts and have never had the pleasure of talking to a landscape pro....so all your help is great!!

landscapes-6-L.jpg

landscapes-7-L.jpg

landscapes-10-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back