critique for a newbie, please

JenR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot this one of my grandmother yesterday. I realize that it is pretty much a basic snapshot, but it is the best I've got. She lives some distance from me, so I can't try to reshoot this. I'm trying to improve what I've got.

This is the original...
DSC_0051.jpg

This is the edited version...
GrGma_ed1.jpg

How can I improve on this? I can really use all the advice and criticism I can get!!

Thanks so much!

~jen

The verticle crops is much better the lighting isn't bad at all. You probably would have turned the amera and had less cropping to do. Had more pixels for the print if you plan to make one.

I like picture of older people so I like this one shows character glad you didn't do too much touch up

with potraits i see two types
1) is an enviromental potrait where the the setting around a person is just as important as the person
2) is just a potrait these are usually tight in
idk if that helps but if you felt that the christmas tree was important in the picture then it would of been important to include it but in this picture i dont believe it was as important so i like the edited version

Some photoshopping to tone down the shadow on the right/bright light from the left...I know others here know ways to do this, as they helped me with the same problem several months ago - some of the pics don't show up anymore but you can read some of what people did...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46272
B&W could also look good for the cropped version.

This is a great, sharp picture and she has a lot of character and that comes trhough in the portrait.

Just saw the 'OK to edit' so here is a suggested edit.

Recentered to move her face to the left
Levelled
lightened and removed some tinting (couldn't remove all the magenta cast)
Cloned out the wall distractions and added some wall
Blurred the background
Used shadow/highlight tool
Added vignettes
Sharpened with smart sharpen.
Tiny bit of area sharpen on hair and face.

Hope you like these.

dsc0051verbrt7.jpg

Great original captures.

My compliments to The_Traveler for his excellent edit.

These images could possibly be one of the last images relatives may have of a cherished Aunt, Sister, Mother, or Grandmother. I would call it an heirloom.

Thank you all so much for the input. I absolutely LOVE The Traveler's edit.

I am extremely Photoshop illiterate. If you don't mind, could you tell me specifically how you evened out the lighting on her face? Thanks!!

~jen

Dear OP,

I posted a little step by step above but it is very difficult to be more specific than that. I did a little of this and a little of that with different tools. I wish I could be more specific but I can't.

If you want to post a higher res picture somewhere, I can edit it and then send you the PSD so you can step back through the history. If the original was a raw file, post that; maybe I can get the magenta cast out.

For large files (above 4-5 meg) there is a free service called yousendit.com. Files up to 50 M. You can use that, send it to yourself and then post the link here and anyone can download it and do an edit for you.

THis is a great picture and I think your whole family woul love it.

BTW, this would look WONDERFUL printed on canvas. With a high-res image, you could use one of the brush stroke filters and this would look like a painting; it has that quality.

Most reactions

Back