Critique me please

Reaction score
Website
www.leftfieldphotographyworks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just moved to the VA beach area and had a client that wanted beach shots during the hardest time of day to photograph due to the brightness of the sun. I had fun and learned quite a lot--both creatively and patience wise. I would appreciate any critique in regards to this image. I did do some post processing, added some layers, split toned and vignetted. Please let me know what you think, what could have been done better and so forth.

kaibeach.jpg

I think using a polarizing filter could have helped you with the reflection/glare of the water, and possibly some fill flash to brighten up your subject the child. Looks to me if you exposed for the water and not the child.

I think using a polarizing filter could have helped you with the reflection/glare of the water, and possibly some fill flash to brighten up your subject the child. Looks to me if you exposed for the water and not the child.

Yea, I should have used a polarizer for my lens....haven't been able to find one for my large lens yet.....I intentionally kept the child dark though. That was done post processing--tried to add some drama and change the viewers focus a little....guess it failed :(. Thanks for the critique--I really appreciate it.

I would really like to see the expression on the kids face. I don't think silhouette works here. I do like the choice of portrait framing.

[Yea, I should have used a polarizer for my lens....haven't been able to find one for my large lens yet....
Every size you could want up to 105mm!

I intentionally kept the child dark though.
No, sorry, you under-expoosed the child. If he were in silhouette, there would be NO detail visible, but as-is, I can make out a little bit of colour on his head and legs. The image has a lot going for it, and I like the composition, but the exposure needs work.

For me this does not work on any level, it more like a shot a mum would take with a point and shoot, it also looks like you took it from a standing position you must get down to the kids level

I think since yourdoing without any modifiers what so ever you need to learn how to shoot with the sun rather then against it. Judging by the child's shadow it have worked better if you would've positioned yourself on the other side of the child - In result there would be no need for reflectors, flash, polarizers etc.

Most reactions

Back