Critique my photos

Val

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I recently got D80 with 18-200. This is my first SLR and im trying to get more into good photography. I read a bunch of theory and went to an event this saturday. These are some photos i made. Would greatly appreciate if you guys could go over them with me :up: I will make my own remarks on them so that you see mistakes in the way i think :)

Some general remarks. All these were filmed during sunset which is of the best times to do photography. Although it got dark pretty quickly and it ot very difficult to do decent photos. These are all cropped and colour balanced in a way i like them most. Not sure how i should expose the subjects properly if both ground and sky are bright...

1. The front of the car is a little blurred, but as far as i understand it is bloody hard to get the whole car in focus in this kind of photos. Otherwise looks great.
01.jpg

2. Probably best to put background into focus, but then wheels would have frozen as well. So maybe next time just blur it more. Prefered it at this zoom level since i feel like grass below gives rounds up the photo nicely
02.jpg

3. Hmm...
03.jpg

4. Nice one. Blur at the back gives it the needed oversteer feeling. Not sure about contrasty and bright buildings at the back... But i like it at this zoom and there isnt much that can be done about them. Moreover maybe they even liven the photo up a bit.
04.jpg

5. Just like the way it looks :)
05.jpg

6. Like 4 but the back shouldve better been in focus.
06.jpg

7. The car is pretty badly blured and not quite in the right palces :(
07.jpg

8. Maybe too much sky but i think this gives a needed openess to the photo.
08.jpg

9. Guess its ok but somehow dont really like.
09.jpg

10. Nice! The front is a bit blured but that the best one i managed.
10.jpg

11. Headlamps underexposed the whole photo pretty badly. Would have been a nice one apart from that.
11.jpg

12. Finding colour :)
12.jpg

Well your images are blurred because your lens is too slow. You could have gotten a 2.8 lens for the $700 you spent (if you bought the VR) on the slow lens you bought and you would not have that problem.

Two suggestions for you. 1) If you are looking for critique, limit the number of photos. 2) If you want critique, don't set a bias by stating what you already know is wrong.

Well your images are blurred because your lens is too slow. You could have gotten a 2.8 lens for the $700 you spent (if you bought the VR) on the slow lens you bought and you would not have that problem.

Hey JIP, what do you mean by "faster lens"? And how would it help to eliminate blur on cars and not effect the background and wheels?

Two suggestions for you. 1) If you are looking for critique, limit the number of photos. 2) If you want critique, don't set a bias by stating what you already know is wrong.

1. I would be greatful if you responded on as many photos as you wish. Commenting on all 12 is surely not necessary.
2. Surely i didnt state something i already know is wrong, i stated things i believe to be true for you to correct me.

Hey JIP, what do you mean by "faster lens"? And how would it help to eliminate blur on cars and not effect the background and wheels?

faster lens=larger aperture(low number, more light let in)=faster shutter speed=freezing the action

faster lens=larger aperture(low number, more light let in)=faster shutter speed=freezing the action

Ah i see what you mean ;) the lens is fast enough since i was mainly limiting the shutter speed. Freezing the action is easy and its definitely not what i wanted. The whole idea is to blur the right things to give cars more "motion" :thumbup:

Ah i see what you mean ;) the lens is fast enough since i was mainly limiting the shutter speed. Freezing the action is easy and its definitely not what i wanted. The whole idea is to blur the right things to give cars more "motion" :thumbup:

Your problem is you blurred everything. So mabye you don't need a faster lens just a steadier hand.

Most reactions

Back