Critique my photos

GoldDust

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these photos at different times of the day using the given camera settings. Please tell me which one is better & how it can be improved.

Photo 1. f/3.5 , Exposure 1/30, ISO 900, No flash
Batik landscape.jpg

Photo 2. f/5, Exposure 1/100, ISO-100, No flash
Batik portrait.jpg

With thanks!

Critique.... hmmm...room shots/testing settings...that was the purpose......pick a subject, concentrate on that and get creative and test your settings on making the subject interesting, to me, the room shots are just tests.....

Thank you @binga63
I took these pics to advertise a B&B. In this shot I was trying to show how the bedroom leads into the garden.

Second one is clearly the less-bad one but neither one is going to win photo of the month. Just not that compelling as composed.

Getting the exposure to work between indoors and outdoors was decent, tho.

edit: could you take the pic from another perspective, or is this all you have?

Last edited:
Thank you @binga63
I took these pics to advertise a B&B. In this shot I was trying to show how the bedroom leads into the garden.
Ahh ok....my eye is drawn to the chair rather than be led to the window and garden... try a wider lens and show more of the room... it may help

Please tell me which one is better & how it can be improved.
Of the two, I like Photo 2 better due to most of the elements being in harmony with the vertical frame. It might be better with a slightly different composition/camera position/camera angle/focal length.

Thank you @binga63

If backing up isn't an option, try shooting wider. There doesn't seem to be enough meat on this bone for advertising purposes. I would also try to bounce some OCF inside the room to balance the light between inside and outside.

could you take the pic from another perspective, or is this all you have?
Thank you. I'll definitely try that.

... try a wider lens and show more of the room...
Thanks but all I have is an 18-55mm. Will it suffice?

It might be better with a slightly different composition/camera position/camera angle/focal length.
Thanks. I'd appreciate it if you can tell me exactly what I need to change. I posted the camera settings so that someone can tell me what to decrease or increase in which shot

I would also try to bounce some OCF inside the room to balance the light between inside and outside.
Thanks. I'd have tried that if I had the OCF

A speedlight should be on you shortlist if you plan on shooting home interiors.

Check if you camera has panorama option, otherwise look for a panorama stitching soft on the web like PTGui or Kolor.

Shot #2; Where's the bed? You don't need to include so much of the ceiling, so lower your camera. Down around chest level or even lower would probably help. Turn the camera to portrait orientation. Throw some light on the floor, or at least try to make it a bit more even. Use flash or a reflector. Make sure your photo is straightened (the wall corner should be plumb).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back