Critique on my recent people shots

Seo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Tech info: Shot on a 550D set to aperture priority with an EF-S 18-135mm kit lens at f8 and 135mm

I noticed a cute couple speaking with each other and took a quick snap while I was in Napa Valley. I feel like the man is either trying to calm his annoyed girlfriend/wife down or speaking about something. The hand suggests the former IMO. I tried dodging his shadowed face a bit but I think it could use some more. Other than that, I'll leave it to you guys for some critique on this.

Tech info: Shot with a 550D set to shutter priority and EF-S 18-135mm kit lens at f5.6 and 62mm.

Shot during a rather hectic moment with the sun setting quickly, hence the slight amount of motion blur. I feel like the playground equipment nice frames her and gives a sense of being, but I'm not sure if the green foreground element is too distracting. Thoughts on that?

Tech info: Shot on a 5D Mark II set to aperture priority with a EF 24-105mm L lens at f4 and 105mm.

I feel like the DOF on this one is a tad deep, and the background could use some more blurring. However, at max telephoto and wide open, I couldn't push my lens any further. Upon further inspection I feel like the heads at the bottom are really distracting and could be burned or cloned out. The lines going through the speaker's head are slightly jarring but I think a shallower DOF would've solved that problem. Otherwise I like the posture and composition. Critique please?

Tech info: Shot on a 550D set to aperture priority with an EF-S 18-135mm kit lens at f8 and 29mm.

Last one... really amateur photoshoot. Only one light with a reflector and white softbox turned off as fill, no rim. Didn't use any strobes (I'm a filmmaker as well, hence the lack of strobe equipment). I feel like the posture is okay except for the forearm extending straight toward the camera and the oversized head (LOL). Or it could be absolute crap, haha. Really have no experience in this field (not that I have any experience shooting people photography in the first place). Critique?

That's it for this thread. Thanks so much for looking! :)

Most reactions

Back