Critique on some "Around the House" shots

DeathDiesel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, in case you dont know, im kind of new to photography. Ive always taken pictures, but until now I havent really cared much how they came out. Currently working with a Nikon D7100, with 18-140mm Lens. Next purchase is 1.8G 50mm or 35mm, but thats neither here nor there. Basically walked around my property and took some shots, just wondering if theres anything that im doing wrong by a long shot. Again im newish so be gentle, but feel free to let me know what im doing wrong. Thanks, DD.

Okay wow, first time uploading raw to jpg uncropped/unshrunk photos to online, not gunna do that anytime soon again, turned out massive. Will resize nextime.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you resize this time and attach here. Lot of people are reluctant to click on links and they definitely don't want to be going to high res original images.
Your call - but if you leave your post like it is I suspect you will not get what you are looking for.

As images for your own personal collection, they are fine. As images to be shared with strangers who don't know you, or the location... they don't communicate why those places are important to you. The cat photo is probably the most interesting, given the expression. The rest need better isolation, better foreground/background control, and better positioning to allow the uninvolved viewer to want to explore the image. We don't know the background to the image, or the context - we can only react based on the clues that you, the photographer, provide us with from within the image. So it becomes your ability as a photographer to arrange the elements in the image that allows us to construct a meaningful narrative from your observations.

If you wish to improve (as we all do, that's why we're here...), take one or two images, tell us what you found compelling, how you decided to make the image to relate to your viewers, and let us react to that. We'll tell you if the image is interesting, or has potential. We'll tell you if your chosen technical settings are appropriate for what you're trying to do, and we may be able to suggest other ways of making the end result closer to your vision.

Edit: One of the frequent posters to this forum has, in one of his posts, put a whole photography course in a few sentences, which I am quoting as part of my signature. It is worth pondering those words.

I would suggest that you resize this time and attach here. Lot of people are reluctant to click on links and they definitely don't want to be going to high res original images.
Your call - but if you leave your post like it is I suspect you will not get what you are looking for.

Yeah, i resized then reuploaded them. Definetly the way it originally came out was rough.

As images for your own personal collection, they are fine. As images to be shared with strangers who don't know you, or the location... they don't communicate why those places are important to you. The cat photo is probably the most interesting, given the expression. The rest need better isolation, better foreground/background control, and better positioning to allow the uninvolved viewer to want to explore the image. We don't know the background to the image, or the context - we can only react based on the clues that you, the photographer, provide us with from within the image. So it becomes your ability as a photographer to arrange the elements in the image that allows us to construct a meaningful narrative from your observations.

If you wish to improve (as we all do, that's why we're here...), take one or two images, tell us what you found compelling, how you decided to make the image to relate to your viewers, and let us react to that. We'll tell you if the image is interesting, or has potential. We'll tell you if your chosen technical settings are appropriate for what you're trying to do, and we may be able to suggest other ways of making the end result closer to your vision.

Edit: One of the frequent posters to this forum has, in one of his posts, put a whole photography course in a few sentences, which I am quoting as part of my signature. It is worth pondering those words.

Very true, Ill try to consider this next time im out shooting. Thanks for the tips, I guess I should have considered that you guys know nothing of my area. Im gunna have to create some kind of reminder card to remember stuff like this.

I like those pictures. If only my images turned out like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back