Critique please...?

Personnally I agree that the background is distracting to my eye. The flare draws my attention away from the subject. Besides that I like it. It's all subjective though and it's going on your wall not anyone elses and if you like the flare keep it.

As for someone saying get the basics down first I don't know how they would know you don't unless they know you very well. I will admit I am very new to photography and I do not have "the basics" down and yet I can still take a decent shot here and there. Photgraphy as an art is subjective and no one knows if you inteneded it to be that way since you may like the shot as it is. How could someone know that everything done in that photo wasn't intentionally?

Assumption about skill & knowledge of photograpghy should be left out of photo critiques. If you have doubts about what was done on a photo ask why did you do it that way before assuming it's a lack of skill. Just my 2 cents-

I have to agree the flare is very distracting..It takes your eye away from the cute dog. Also, the white balance looks a little too warm.

I completely understand the basics,
I have been doing photography as a business for over 3 years now.
Artistically I do like this,
I might use the wider photo as someone suggested, I do enjoy suggestions too as it gives me a different outlook.
But I definitely achieved the colour and exposure that I wanted to.
It's a good thing art is opinion, I want me photography to be art, not "technically correct".
I don't obviously just take photos out of focus for art, but I'm happy to blow the colours or exposure for the sake of the picture :)

He didn't make any personal attack on her. He just said try to work on the basics then move to the art pics. They will be much better in the long run.

Thats the personal attack, would you not take that as a personal attack been told this when you have been taking photos for years and know the basics inside out?
OP, if you felt that this was a personal attack on you, I apologize; it was not meant to be. When I viewed the image, the added "flare" and the extremely narrow DoF, combined with the distracting element (door frame?) behind the dog's head indicated to me that this was an image taken by someone who was working too hard on their artistic skills before they had polished off their technical ones. As you say that is not the case, the fair enough, it's simply a case of you and I having different opinions on the way a particular image could/should look.

Photogirl can you do an edit without the flare and post it? Perhaps it's not better?

I think this photo is great. My suggestion is stop looking for c&c here. There's always someone who think you're taking work away from them. So they try to keep you down. Just go take it. Stop worrying about what other people think. If you like it, other people will!

I think this photo is great. My suggestion is stop looking for c&c here. There's always someone who think you're taking work away from them. So they try to keep you down. Just go take it. Stop worrying about what other people think. If you like it, other people will!

dont let the bastards keep you down.

wow...that was interesting

I disagree..Getting C&C is a way to grow and improve your work. If you aren't able to take the C&C and use it to improve, then don't ask for it. Obviously, she thinks her picture is fine, so she should have never asked for C&C. She could have just posted it in the gallery. I really don't think anyone is concerned about her taking work away from them.

well that's the last time I go looking for C&C! and here I thought I was improving my technique...

As a general suggestion: Work on getting the basics down pat before moving into the artistic; in other words: Get your exposure, composition, etc nailed and then try the 'artistic' approach to processing. Walk before you run. As well, the gallery section (where I have moved this thread) is the appropriate location for posting images for C&C.

I completely understand the basics,
I have been doing photography as a business for over 3 years now.
Artistically I do like this,
I might use the wider photo as someone suggested, I do enjoy suggestions too as it gives me a different outlook.
But I definitely achieved the colour and exposure that I wanted to.
It's a good thing art is opinion, I want me photography to be art, not "technically correct".
I don't obviously just take photos out of focus for art, but I'm happy to blow the colours or exposure for the sake of the picture :)

I'm responding the sentence that is in bold.

IMO, when one creates an "art" photograph, it behooves the poster to either explain the purpose of the art or let the art stand on its own as self-explanatory.

So in this shot we see what we see, but we do not know your intent regarding the desired reaction by the viewer. If you want a "dreamy" feeling, then you should say so. If you want a "sentimental" picture, then you expect the casual viewer to feel the same sentiment as you do, which is unrealistic, IMO. If you don't know what reaction you want in the viewer, then how can you make an "art" photo that elicits a certain reaction in the viewer?

Meanwhile, most of us do not perceive the emotional reaction you desire, so we comment on the technical side of the photograph. Little did we know that you made the technical "errors" on purpose.

IMO, when one creates an "art" photograph, it behooves the poster to either explain the purpose of the art or let the art stand on its own as self-explanatory.

So in this shot we see what we see, but we do not know your intent regarding the desired reaction by the viewer. If you want a "dreamy" feeling, then you should say so. If you want a "sentimental" picture, then you expect the casual viewer to feel the same sentiment as you do, which is unrealistic, IMO. If you don't know what reaction you want in the viewer, then how can you make an "art" photo that elicits a certain reaction in the viewer?

Meanwhile, most of us do not perceive the emotional reaction you desire, so we comment on the technical side of the photograph. Little did we know that you made the technical "errors" on purpose.

Well put

Well put

Who here posts a photo and says every little thing they did was done on purpose no one so why would you expect her to
also she was taking everything and everyone's comments fine, the problem only started when she was told to learn the basics, but of cause you guys would know all this if you had read the whole post, comming in 1/2 way and putting your 2 cents in without reading everyone's comments just makes you look like ass holes. lets not be ass holes and start helping people, what was wrong with as asking her what her intent was meant to be with how her photo looked. then if we can offer help do so if not move onto other posts where we can help.

Most reactions

Back