julius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Canon A-1
Shot on Ilford Delta 100
Printed on Ilford MGIV Pearl
Then scanned in and slight changed in photoshop

benchframeforum4ok.jpg

I am interested in what people think of the composition. Personally I like the composition but I get the feeling it could be unbalanced because there is not that much happening on the right hand side of the picture. Another query is to do with the exposure. I slightly underexposed the print in the darkroom but think I managed to salvage it in photoshop by layering and burning etc. Does this pass as OK?

I don't mind if you rip me apart but keep in mind I've only been shooting for a month or so. Thanks in anticipation:D

julius said:
I don't mind if you rip me apart but keep in mind I've only been shooting for a month or so. Thanks in anticipation:D

Ok then, I think it's an absolutely horrible photograph!

lol jk. I actually really like it. For me, it draws all of my attention to the subject in the bottom left hand corner, which is obviously the bench. I also look at the tree as well. I do agree though that there is nothing really going on in the top right.

Excellent image for your first month. I look forward to month two. I would prefer that the bench seat be turned into the shot, but that's only trival. It has a nice feeling, somewhat ethereal. By your comments, I assume you sacnned from the print not the negative. Next time print on a glossy or flat matte paper, the scan can pick up the pearl finish. Philip.

www.philipweirphotography.com

SeanL: Cheers for your response, I'm glad you liked the image and the subject stands out for you. I've done a little reading on composition and came across the thirds rule. Anyway, I was experimenting with thirds or "two thirds" in this case. I never took photography in school so I'm still trying to work out what works and what doesn't.

Phillip Weir: Thanks for the kind words and the tip. I am due for another paper round anyway so I think I'll grab a pack of matte. I would like to try scanning negs but don't think I can with my standard flatbed (I don't have a light in the lid)

Darin3200: Thanks for the comment. I'll definately take that into consideration next time I'm out shooting.

Most reactions

Back