Critique these, wedding.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I wasn't the hired photographer on this one, but I took my camera anyway. Unfortunately my lens is in repair so the entire mess was done with a 50mm f1.8 manual focus from the late 70s. Half my photos went to the dogs due to being out of focus :(, and don't even get me started on how you are supposed to take group photos with a 50mm...

Fortunately these 2 did come out very well: It's just a pity the first one was cropped down to 1.5mpx. What a waste of sensor space :(

DSC_9097.jpg

And in this one the bride unfortunately lost it while I was focusing. (Softfocus applied)

DSC_9233-2a.jpg

So what do you think? Tips for the future?

#1. Shots like this can be great, you caught a great expression of the bride on her big day. It will probably be meaningful to her. On the other hand, everyone else in the photo is looking down or is obscured...and don't really add anything to the image...rather they distract from it. It would be much better, if it could be cropped in to just the bride or if it was shot with a longer lens. Obviously, you had some issues so you did what you could, that's all you can do sometimes.

#2. A nice capture of a genuine moment with what looks like a real smile. I like the dreamy effect you have here.

I think the 2nd is really cute. I like that she cracked up. It's looks more genuine. The expressions on some of their faces in the first put me off.

BigMike the top image is already down to 1.4Mpx because of the crop I really can't get any closer without sacraficing the print. I was originally aiming for everyone looking down except the bride but one the best man looked up :(.

I also appreciate that everyone thinks the second looks genuine. Seeing how the bride is laughing because she couldn't stand like that any longer :)

both these shots are great grabs....I wouldnt like it if #1 were cropped, you would have lost the moment....

and what's the problem about shooting a group with a 50??? i love it!!! except when yuou are in a tight spot!!!

and what's the problem about shooting a group with a 50??? i love it!!! except when yuou are in a tight spot!!!

The problem here is that you need a pretty small aperture to keep everyone in focus. With a small aperture shutter spped will be way too long. If they were all on the same focal plane it would be easy but the distance between first and last is quite big.

Shooting with the 50mm lens here means to maintain at least 1/50th (even with a higher ISO) the aperture will need to be pretty large.

Therefore not everyone will be in focus.

PS - Just meaning this with regards the above group image. Gernerally the 50 is a great lens if you can stop down enough to get everyone in focus and be far enough back to get eyeryone in!

I love the 2nd one the most. Its like we're peeking into a candid moment between husband and wife, and not a posed photo. Great job.

There's nothing wrong with a 50mm lens. Except on a digital camera it gets way too close to be practical as the only lens. It would have been fine if I had say a 105, 50, and a 20mm in my collection. That covers all the basics I would have needed. In any event the biggest problem wasn't the 50mm it was the manual focus :S

Thanks for the replies.

Most reactions

Back