Critique would be very appreciated

MrMbss1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I'm a high school student who uses most his free time on the computer, and loves to take pictures. Other than that, I also do enjoy editing them in Adobe Lightroom. Here's some sample photos i took earlier today, critique is very welcome!
Using a Canon 50D with a 23-105mm Ultrasonic lens.

Original:
IMG_6602.jpg

Colour edited/corrected
IMG_6602.jpg

Welcome to the forums mate!

As far as your image is concerned your processing looks fine to me. You've magaged to get a bit of flare in that shot centrally located at the top of the frame so I'd look out for that in the future. Your settings appear fine as your shot looks sharp enough and you've managed to throw the background out of focus nicely. Your composition needs work though. It would have been better to show either the whole basket or part of it, at the moment the bottom is chopped off and it makes it look kinda accidental. There's also a lot of background stuff, a trampoline (I think) a table with stuff on it, a few chopped off flowers on top that don't need to be there and they serve no purpose except distracting us from your main focal point. The kerbstones form a leading line which can be a nice element of a composition as they lead your eye into the frame, but in your image it doesn't really lead to a focal point so it has the effect af drawing the viewers eye away from your subject.

The good news is that it's all fixable. I would suggest trying to set up a still life. Make sure you control all of the elements that will be in the frame. Here's a link to a good example still life.. Photography Forum

Welcome to the forums mate!

As far as your image is concerned your processing looks fine to me. You've magaged to get a bit of flare in that shot centrally located at the top of the frame so I'd look out for that in the future. Your settings appear fine as your shot looks sharp enough and you've managed to throw the background out of focus nicely. Your composition needs work though. It would have been better to show either the whole basket or part of it, at the moment the bottom is chopped off and it makes it look kinda accidental. There's also a lot of background stuff, a trampoline (I think) a table with stuff on it, a few chopped off flowers on top that don't need to be there and they serve no purpose except distracting us from your main focal point. The kerbstones form a leading line which can be a nice element of a composition as they lead your eye into the frame, but in your image it doesn't really lead to a focal point so it has the effect af drawing the viewers eye away from your subject.

The good news is that it's all fixable. I would suggest trying to set up a still life. Make sure you control all of the elements that will be in the frame. Here's a link to a good example still life.. Photography Forum
Thank you very much, I appreciate the critique, and I will look out for the composition and potential flares in the future.

Here's two other photos I also took today, got anything to say about those?

Original:
IMG_6601.jpg

Edited:
IMG_6601.jpg

The photos are sorta busy. A lot of things visible in the background and to the sides. You could reduce the DOF even more or perhaps work to get an angle that doesn't distract from your main subject.
And work to get your horizons level....

The photos are sorta busy. A lot of things visible in the background and to the sides. You could reduce the DOF even more or perhaps work to get an angle that doesn't distract from your main subject.
And work to get your horizons level....
Thank you. Friends of mine did tell me about my horizontal levels, but I guess I didn't learn from that. Will try to remember!

Getting horizontal and vertical straight is something we all have to work on, and then when we forget, we just straighten them in Photoshop!!!!
Sometimes for artistic reasons you'll want to not have them straight but you'll come to know when that is. Things like the top of a table or the horizon on a lake are easy to know NOT....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back