Critique?

I have Photoshop. I usually avoid editing pictures unless I absolutely have to. I'd rather get the balance right the first time.

Lets see... so that means you must be shooting in JPG... since you have to process RAW or you don't have anything. That also means that you don't adjust exposure and contrast to optimize the image... and don't sharpen either, which means your shots will never be as sharp as they could be.

Personally.. I would "edit"! :)

You state " I'd rather get the balance right the first time" ... Balance? I assume you are referring to White Balance? How do you go about getting it right the first time? What techniques do you use to ensure that? :)

Gamma/contrast balance I mean. The lighting. I always shoot RAW.

#1: An excellent depiction...this image sounds of the true and sincere affection and the obedience of a dog to his/her master.....all those are reflected in those eyes.... probably that must be the reason you decided not to show the upper half of the owner-which you thought immaterial .... ( for fun's sake i will call that Tom & Jerry style ;) ) ..and if in that image the expression on the face of the owner were not reciprocating to that of the dog's, the image would be a failure to convey the feeling it arouses in the viewer as of now.... I don't tend to call the empty right half negative space... it is just an unfilled space indicative of the expanses of the place through which they walk....I really liked this image, for sure :thumbsup: Plus another element here is movement...that has been very successfully incorporated in this image

#2: The construction in the front is a big block to enter into the image and it also diminishes the "landscapishness" of the image!!!

#3: Here i would have cut the right end to take the door more off center and also to avoid the top tilted roof there which gives the framing as a whole a mobile sim card shape...and i also would take away that bucket from that bench, which looks so odd there.

#4: This is a fun time shot and it is a success except for the shade on the face of the one facing the hit

Regards :D

Really? I liked the construction. I took a few shots without it, though. Thank-you for liking #1! I didn't even notice the bucket.

I have Photoshop. I usually avoid editing pictures unless I absolutely have to. I'd rather get the balance right the first time.
According to the EXIF data for #1 and #4, your Photoshop is not at the current release level.

Also, if you have your camera set to capture as JPEG the photos are being edited by the camera. Contrast, saturation, and sharpening are being adjusted even if you have the picture controls all set to neutral.

All digital camera photos start with a Raw image file. You can choose to record the Raw image file to the memory card so you can edit the Raw file, or you can let the camera edit the Raw file based on it's rote programming and/or by applying the coarse settings the picture controls allow.

I noticed that 2 of the photos you posted were made with a 7D, apparently as TIFF files, but the other 2 did not have complete EXIF data.

#4 needed fill lighting.

I always shoot RAW. I think I accidentally saved some photos as PNG which might be why they lack exif data, oops. I got my photoshop for free from work (they had a few extra copies), and I can't afford to upgrade so I've been stuck on 5.1 :(

I'll try editing #4 for fill lighting today.

I was referring to an update, not an upgrade. If your Photoshop won't update, you either have not registered your software with Adobe, or you do not have a legal copy of the software.

With Photoshop open, on the Applications bar across the top of the workspace click on - Help > Update.

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/design/learn-photoshop-basics/

Last edited:
I was referring to an update, not an upgrade. If your Photoshop won't update, you either have not registered your software with Adobe, or you do not have a legal copy of the software.

With Photoshop open, on the Applications bar across the top of the workspace click on - Help > Update.

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/design/learn-photoshop-basics/

Or it could mean that I don't let any program automatically update. I guess I could update it manually.

Last edited:
I don't own any flashes or reflectors. There's the on camera flash but I try to avoid using it. This is all the more motivation for me to actually go out and spend money on a decent flash/reflector.

I'm new too so I don't have much to add but I wanted to comment here. I don't have speed lights or anything either but know I needed to improve my lighting. I bought and just received a Neewer 5in1 Multi-disc Light reflector for $15 on Amazon that packs up super tight and small and attaches easily to my backpack. I looked into the cheap route of using like a foam poster board but considering they are $7 each this made more sense. I also got a $50 cheap light kit, that is definitely "cheap" but it stands up to my kids knocking them over okay, and its much better than nothing.

Most reactions

Back