Critique!

photopro379

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all! I am brand new to the forum, so I figured what better way to start than throwing pictures up for critique. I recently found a love for photography, so i decided to quit my job to follow my passion...photography. i have two images. #1 is called elder naval and #2 is called Spartans vs the k9.

$image-3398255349.jpg

$image-2277468282.jpg

Thanks for the critique. It isn't very helpful, but at least you took the time to say something.

That's not critique. That's advice. And good advice at that.

There is just not much to critique here, Photopro379. Both look like snapshots and nothing more.

Tiller said:
That's not critique. That's advice. And good advice at that.

Tiller chimes in with a zinger!!!

#1 Bad White Balance issues... and the framing is way too tight. Not to mention the Very busy background! The shadows on the face are dark.. badly in need of fill lighting! And she looks way over processed... almost plastic! ;) I strongly suggest starting on the basics! And RTFM also!

#2 Very out of focus.. nothing sharp. Dog isn't sharp.. your toys aren't sharp.. just OOF! There are also several very blownout highlights... with all detail lost (on the dog). Very harsh light too.. that shadow behind the dog is very dark! Framing is a bit odd too... Maybe read up on composition and framing. Also basic exposure! Proper Shutter speed can prevent motion blur! And DOF.. can't forget DOF!

harmonn2 said:
There is just not much to critique here, Photopro379. Both look like snapshots and nothing more.

If there is nothing to critique then they must be technically perfect. Excellent! Thanks!

Passion is a wonderful thing to have, regardles of what it is. I hope you do well with your photography.

However, reality bites. You may have been premature with your career choices at this point though.

cgipson1 said:
#1 Bad White Balance issues... and the framing is way too tight. Not to mention the Very busy background! The shadows on the face are dark.. badly in need of fill lighting! And she looks way over processed... almost plastic! ;) I strongly suggest starting on the basics! And RTFM also!

#2 Very out of focus.. nothing sharp. Dog isn't sharp.. your toys aren't sharp.. just OOF! There are also several very blownout highlights... with all detail lost (on the dog). Very harsh light too.. that shadow behind the dog is very dark! Framing is a bit odd too... Maybe read up on composition and framing. Also basic exposure! And DOF.. can't forget DOF!

Hey man, thanks!! I will work on all that. I appreciate your input.

Already covered - I've got to stop doing other things in the middle of posting.

snowbear said:
#1 - Missed focus, too deep DOF.
#2 - Missed focus, too shallow DOF, blown highlights, distracting shadow.

Cool, thanks! Ill watch that next time

#1 is too cluttered in the background with all the clothing racks. Personally I find the mannequin a bit creepy lol thats just me.:) if you feel like practicing with clothing store mannequins choose one with a better location. Also I find the angle you choose off. Try an angle you'd use if you were photographing a real person. #2 really does cry snap shot. Once again too much too the back ground. And ditch the toys. Just makes the picture look like you whipped out your point and shoot in the living room. Watch what's behind your subjects as it will show and in this case take away from your subject. An easily avoided mistake in most circumstances.

Rwsphotos said:
#1 is too cluttered in the background with all the clothing racks. Personally I find the mannequin a bit creepy lol thats just me.:) if you feel like practicing with clothing store mannequins choose one with a better location. Also I find the angle you choose off. Try an angle you'd use if you were photographing a real person. #2 really does cry snap shot. Once again too much too the back ground. And ditch the toys. Just makes the picture look like you whipped out your point and shoot in the living room. Watch what's behind your subjects as it will show and in this case take away from your subject. An easily avoided mistake in most circumstances.

Got it! All great inputs. Thank you!

I'm going to have nightmares about that plastic head.

Most reactions

Back