Critiques and comments

ceeboy14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is likely a subject which has been beaten into submission more than one time on this forum, but being relatively new to your merry little band of photographers, I want to address non-comments.

I call these adjective and adverbs non comments because they do nothing to assist any photographer at any stage of growth - or even just stability: Wow, superb!!! Great!!! Spectacular!!! Awesome!!! Stupendous!!! and the list goes on. For me, it is especially annoying to see these non-comments made in conjunction with a photograph which clearly isn't any of the previous modifiers. Telling a photographer their shot is spectacular when it is over or underexposed, the color balance is more than marginally off or the horizon line is making all the water run downhill sends a message to said photogrpaher, "hey, keep churning out badly exposed, composed, etc. shots because I love them."

It is a simple fix. If you are going to use said modifiers, clarify as to how the shot is great, stupendous or out of this world. If you like the shot but realize there is something about it that is bothersome but not sure what it is, or how to express it properly, defer or comment with another clarifier such as, "I like the concept of your shot, the setting and how it sits with me emotionally (it makes me sad, happy, glad, wanton) etc., but I must defer to those with more expertise as to the compositional, color, etc.." Even better, take a stab at making a helpful critique. What do you like, why, what don't you like, why, what might the artist do to improve the shot and why, or I like this because...Being right isn't the end solution. Being truthful and helpful helps to guide the photographer on to better images.

I am certainly no expert when it comes to what makes the best of anything in a shot and while I may get dissenting arguments to my critiques, edits or otherwise, I am always making them with the best in mind for the person I am critiquing. In rare instances one might quote me as saying awesome or the like but if I am saying such, it is because the artist has left little or nothing to dislike.

'Nuff said on my part, good, bad or indifferent.

It has but, just as you are new, others are also and it is newcomers, both to the forum and to photography, who don't have a sensible baseline for judging photos.
It makes them feel like part of the group to actually express an opinion and to make someone else feel good by getting praise.

It is annoying but understandable.

What they are missing is the opportunity to look at why they think a picture is good or bad.
That's the best learning experience there is.

Great thread!

One can learn a lot form attempting to do C&C... but many people are intimidated by C&C especially in a group forum that will correct them when wrong. I also agree the "WOW's" and "I LIKE IT" on images that may not deserve it, are a bit annoying... as it can encourage someone to continue what they are doing wrong!

Difficult situation, in the least! lol!

ALL new people should try to C&C.... and maybe we can encourage that more. I often ask someone "why" they like an image when that is all they state... but I seldom get an answer!

ceeboy14; I never know if comments such as yours are directed at me or not, as I sometimes make a short comment like: "I like it!", or "Very good!", mostly when I have nothing else to add, and the shot is better than any that I can do.

I also think I can offer constructive criticism when it appears that my comments might be needed.

Please excuse my occasional short comments.

Honestly most of the time I i just don't write anything if I do comment it is due to the fact that it an amazing photo or a very bad one.

Again, Designer, if the shot warrants it and the viewer is as well accomplished as yourself, then such a comment is fine. It is when the viewer makes such a comment to a poorly constructed image, I find I am disappointed in the response.

Allow me to be a homer for a second, but I agree with Charlie. The new person may very well like a photo that is really not that good. But it has moved them to post something on here. If they would add why they like it, the specific part, they would learn something. I know that I have like photos on here that have gotten ripped apart, but very seldom has is been about the part that caused me to like the photo.

We are all different and things will move me to post that won't other people. Knowing the reason is something that we should all understand or think about in order to imrove.

Well, i see another side to those comments. Sometimes you have a new photographer commenting that likes the shot, but doesnt know the technical aspects to offer any more detailed critique. Sometimes there are already 20 comments discussing a good photos minor shortcomings, so there is little need to keep repeating the same post over and over, yet that person may still wish to convey the fact that they like the OPs photo.

Peoples comments or critique may not live up to professional standards, but this is a forum where everyone is welcome to express their views on what is posted. Even if those views have no technical expertise behind them.

One can learn a lot form attempting to do C&C... but many people are intimidated by C&C especially in a group forum that will correct them when wrong. I also agree the "WOW's" and "I LIKE IT" on images that may not deserve it, are a bit annoying... as it can encourage someone to continue what they are doing wrong!

Unless the person leaving the comment is lying about what they think, I don't see what your point is.

If I like a photo, I'll say so, regardless of whether it meets somebody else's arbitrarily defined standards of technical perfection. I guess I'm a rogue in this respect, in that I have no problem coming out and saying I think a photo is good even if I know that photo-forum dogma would dictate a less favourable opinion.

There is merit to the "say why you like the photo" thing, but what makes for a "good photo" is in the eye of the beholder.

Well, i see another side to those comments. Sometimes you have a new photographer commenting that likes the shot, but doesnt know the technical aspects to offer any more detailed critique. Sometimes there are already 20 comments discussing a good photos minor shortcomings, so there is little need to keep repeating the same post over and over, yet that person may still wish to convey the fact that they like the OPs photo.

Peoples comments or critique may not live up to professional standards, but this is a forum where everyone is welcome to express their views on what is posted. Even if those views have no technical expertise behind them.

Anarchist! :p :hail: :lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao:

Unless the person leaving the comment is lying about what they think, I don't see what your point is.

We often see bad images praised by those who lack even basic knowledge.... and this encourages more of the same type of images. (kind of the reward / consequence thing). And then when someone more knowledgeable tries to correct the initial shooter, and show them a better way... they are blown off or ignored since so many people "liked" it! Hopefully you will agree that that is a "Point"!

We see that same thing with Facebook... lots of praise received there! Then they come here... and get C&C that indicates the image is not praiseworthy, and the shooter gets angry and defensive! (after all, how could all those Facebook users that told them they were "awesome" be wrong?)

Most reactions

Back