Critiques please

skylark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Taken in Cromwell church Notts. I used fill in flash at 1/60 exposure.
I have adjusted in PS to give what I think is a reasonable image.

Your views much appreciated

I love the subject and the rich colors.
Personally, the break in the lighting bothers me. The way the top of the window is almost exclusively shown by backlight, creating that soft-edged effect, and then the bottom of the window has the strong 3/4 light from the (edit: window?) just gives too much dissonance to the image for me.

I love the subject and the rich colors.
Personally, the break in the lighting bothers me. The way the top of the window is almost exclusively shown by backlight, creating that soft-edged effect, and then the bottom of the window has the strong 3/4 light from the (edit: window?) just gives too much dissonance to the image for me.

Agreed I thought that would be the response. I just didn't have the gear to get proper all over fill lighting (it's a cheap digicam I use for holiday shots).
I will persevere with PS though. As you say a great subject - teach me to leave the SLR at home :mrgreen:

critiques_skylark_ed.jpg

I think that this shot needed a little more brightening of the interior although the blown out highlights at the top of the window are still a problem.

skieur

I think you should have exposed your shot for the brightness of the window and then use your fill flash to brighten up the interior.

To my mind, the original look very authentic, presents the atmosphere of the church pretty much, and seems to be quite like what your eyes would see, too, with the given light.

I fail to see ANY effect of the fill flash, I'm afraid, not even nearest to your POV is there any light to be seen on the pews, and what there is seems to be reflections from the side window. Which is proof enough for me that an ordinary on-or-in-camera flash never provides enough light to fill up a church, hence using flash in churches makes no sense at all in most cases.

That said, I must still say I quite like the original, and Skieur's edit might have been a good attempt, only was the photo he worked with too small, so now it looks a bit "mangled" in his edit.

HDR could be another quite viable way to work with this photo ... provided you have a RAW file, which I doubt from the way you are describing your camera...

HDR , RAW , do you mind I'm a film man - I just soil my hands with this digital stuff because my wife doesn't like a big camera coming along with us :D

BTW what on earth IS HDR ?

- Cheers CJB and thanks for the comments , one of those "almost' pictures I guess

BTW what on earth IS HDR ?

High dynamic range is a technique which uses multiple bracketed exposures and merges them into a single composite which contains the best information from both the light and dark areas of a scene. once merged, they can then be manipulated simultaneously.

here is my attempt at manipulating the image to draw out some of the color and shadow detail while maintaining some of the cavernous quality. i stretched it a bit further than it needs to go, but it sort of minics the qualities that can be achieved with HDR. i used shadows and highlights, tone mapping, curves an a bit of dodge and burn.

i like yours better tho. still a fan of film and your subject is well balanced and works quite nicely.

churchedit2.jpg

Unless you've got something like a 3200 w/s strobe with a wide reflector, there is absolutely no way that fill flash would do anything in that room. The concept of fill flash is that you're raising the exposure of a subject in order to bring it within a closer range of the ambient light. There's not a snowball's chance in hell you could achieve that with any ordinary flash. And all the gear masturbators who think that you could do it with a speedlite are fooling themselves.

critiques_skylark_ed.jpg

I think that this shot needed a little more brightening of the interior although the blown out highlights at the top of the window are still a problem.

skieur

It unfortunately suffers from chromatic aberration, purple fringing at top of the frame and on the right side. If a re-take is possible, using a tripod take two exposures, one for the highlights and one for the shadows and merge them in PS.

I blew it up and checked in a purple fringe correct mode...NO PURPLE FRINGE in the image at all. There is certainly blue at the top of the window which is a problem, but no purple fringe.

skieur

If a re-take is possible, using a tripod take two exposures, one for the highlights and one for the shadows and merge them in PS.

How would someone go about merging them? (sorry posting a question in your thread but it seems appropriate)

How would someone go about merging them? (sorry posting a question in your thread but it seems appropriate)

photoshop

file>automate>merge to HDR

or you can use photomatix pro or dynamic photo or any of the other programs that create HDR files.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back