Crop = Crap.

Sorry, but this is one of those no-brainers, kind of like breathing. Do you really need to think about it?

The problem is most who are in need of the learning will only read the first post and the title - those who weigh into the discussion are those who have been there - done it and are giving critique on the advice itself; thus those who would benefit from the general teaching that doesn't appear till later in the thread never see it to gain the benefit.

As such the thread fails to communicate the full message to users and only provides a very tiny, restrictive and not practical in the real world advice tip.

The problem is most who are in need of the learning will only read the first post and the title - those who weigh into the discussion are those who have been there - done it and are giving critique on the advice itself; thus those who would benefit from the general teaching that doesn't appear till later in the thread never see it to gain the benefit.

As such the thread fails to communicate the full message to users and only provides a very tiny, restrictive and not practical in the real world advice tip.

Call my silly, but don't mods have the ability to change thread titles?

Yep we can - we can also edit posts but I think I'd get in trouble if I started changing titles and posts to just say what I want ;)

Call my silly, but don't mods have the ability to change thread titles?

Hi there "Silly!"

Be careful what you ask for. :D

I have certain lenses where I know in advance that I will crop because the focus starts to fall off at closer distances, even though I may want a tighter frame. It happens often in macro. I want the super close shot, but not the super shallow DOF. So I take a step back until what I want is in focus and I just plan on cropping in post. To a certain degree, this is the case with all of my primes. Not for every shot, but there are certain situations where cropping is preferable to the focus falling off ... unless I want it to.

It's my photo and I'll crop if I want to, Crop if I want to, Crop if I want to.
You would crop to if it happened to you.

I shoot as tight as possible, but pretty much everything I shoot does need a little cropping. I don't see it as a big deal.

Cropping in the viewfinder, or cropping in the camera?

Many cameras today have retouching/editing functions in their menus, like Nikon's Trim.

My honest biggest problem is that I tend to crop way too tight in the camera which tends to leave me lopping off bits of things that shouldn't be lopped off. Cropping a little wide in camera is, I think, a far better habit than cropping too much - you can always shave off a bit in editing; you can't do the reverse.

I'd love to have a multi-aspect sensor in my camera, but I have not.

My honest biggest problem is that I tend to crop way too tight in the camera which tends to leave me lopping off bits of things that shouldn't be lopped off. Cropping a little wide in camera is, I think, a far better habit than cropping too much - you can always shave off a bit in editing; you can't do the reverse.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. situations where i need to straighten or crop (due to aspect ratio, subject position, background, insufficient reach, insufficient time to properly consider the framing, or just plain ole not getting it right) come up far more often than my need to preserve every last bit of the 24MP that i have available. Seriously there's been maybe a handful of times (literally as in < 5) where i wish i had more resolution in a cropped image, and 100's if not 1000's of shots where i'm kicking myself for not having enough in frame. I was taught with the mindset of "fill the frame" in-camera and this does make you think about the shots more and pre-plan and visualize/conceptualize your end result BEFORE pressing the shutter. but at this point it couldn't be clearer that i'm actually hurting and not helping my image production by being overzealous with my in-camera crops. i almost want to say that with today's high MP cameras, once you're past using it as a learning tool, "filling the frame" in camera is actually bad advice.

Last edited:
read this whole thread .... what a waste of time ! Call Adobe tell them to remove the crop tool from their products :)

Actually, for me, cropping in post is a way of life. I've found that since I keep my glasses on while shooting, virtually every picture is shot 'somewhat wide', even with the near 100% image size in the viewfinder on the 5D3. That gives me latitude for not only straightening out my crooked shooting, but eliminating 'clutter' I may not have noticed while taking the picture, AND, it leaves me with multiple print size cropping options later on.

So for me, CROP = GOOD.

PS...having 21mp RAW to start from helps greatly!

Most reactions

Back