Crop Opinions...

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alrighty then....

Here is the original untouched photo (neg scan actually). On the left side you can see where some branches are way close and out of focus. I wanna crop them out...

original
48a.jpg

I've made a few different crops. Each one gives me a different photo altogether, and I'm not sure what I like or why. What are your thoughts? Please disregard the coolness of the photo. It is pretty damned blue isn't it? I don't think the neg was fixed long enough.

48b.jpg

48c.jpg

48s.jpg

48d.jpg

i like 1 and 4

1 because theres a good sense of foreground and background.
4 because the same reason and since its cropped closer to her, it feels more intimate with the subject.

i dont like the others because the relationship of the background and the subject implies that theres something to look at(in the back ground), but the trees in the background arent strong enough to be counterparts to the subject.
also, number 2 and 3 has that wierd bushy branch on the left, and since youre subject is facing that way and its in a similar depth of field, attention is pointed toward that bush as well.

Number 2 for me, the girl sits better on the right of the frame as she is looking across it then rather than straight out of it if you place her to far across the frame.

4 is nice as well though, as blooper said its more intimate.

:)

I like #2. I think seeing her on the right side of the photo and her looking more to the left just makes it!

I know you don't want to hear this but I don't like any of them. They all appear clumsy to me. Im sorry.

I ask myself in most of them either where is the rest of her does she have no feet or why did it include that much of her is way past a pleasing place to crop the female form. I do not mean to offend you but it is how I feel abut them.

Of course I obiously ask myself why you chose to do a horizontal crop for a subject so obviously vertile. That enters into it of course.

I like #4... just seems balanced to me. Keep working with this girl - I think you'll get good results.

Oh, and I have faith that she has legs below the frame. :lol:

~Dewey

Here is another crop from the same photo....this would be #5 for those keeping track.

48e.jpg

This is a different exposure altogether, but from the same pose...

49a.jpg

#1 and #4 were the ones I liked best,
#5 is now my favorite.

I find the shadows on her face really distracting, is this just me?

Just as an aisde....her mother is furious with me....well not really...just irritated.

She just turned 16, and has said for years that she wants to be a model (I just think she like to have her photo taken). I was supposed to take a family photo for her, but she wasn't available, but her daughter still wanted some photos, so we spent the afternoon shooting.

She looks very grown up in a lot of them, and has been pestering her mother about modeling.

...ah youth....wasted on the young.

haha Irritated because you took nice pictures of a pretty girl, like you were asked to do. Oh my, no one is ever happy, are they? ;)

1 and 4 for me. The back ground and tree are less distracting in those pics

Of course I obiously ask myself why you chose to do a horizontal crop for a subject so obviously vertile. That enters into it of course.

My thoughts exactly. This should be a vertical crop, not square.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back