Crop Overlays In Lightroom

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Maybe I was in a rut, maybe I was to lazy to change it, whatever the reason, the go to had become the Rule of Thirds. So much so that it was becoming stale and uninspired. Lately I've been moving away from it, exploring other options. Thankfully Lr makes it easy with the crop overlay feature. Don't Get Stuck on the Rule of Thirds - Lightroom Has a Lot More to Offer Changing size, opacity, orientation, has opened up new ideas for me. Anyone else branching out from the Rule of Thirds?

It's always good once you understand a concept to push away from it and experiment. Even if only for a learning experience.

For me placement is always what I feel it should be. I don't consciously look for any rules. Sometimes I'll re crop an image 4 or 5 times before I settle on what I like. Other times I know exactly where the subject needs to be in frame.

Just remember rule is a four letter word.......didn't your mama teach you not to use them? :p

Just remember rule is a four letter word.......didn't your mama teach you not to use them?

There's also the "Can't see the forest for the trees". LOL Which I sometimes have problems with. Branching out and using the crop overlays and the tools within to adjust, helps me zero in better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back