cropped iris

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
Same iris I posted in the Photo Gallery yesterday, this time very early in the morning & with flash.

This is a cropped version. No particular goal here, except to eliminate some off-color background.

Is there enough space around the front petal, or does it need a bit more breathing room?

crop_iris.jpg

I think the crop is a good one. The only thing I would suggest is to rotate the image till the iris is a nice vertical. It would also remove some of the petal in the right side background.

hiya fellas
yeah jim , maybe just a few more mm on the bottom.
it looks pretty perfect, dont know if that would improve it.
IMO, i wouldnt rotate it, it's naturally right as-is.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll look at adding a bit to the bottom.

This is destined to be a greeting card photo, so a bit more space is probably a good idea.

The lighting here is just exquisite! Very nice job. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more black at the bottom, but not a lot.

A winner. :D

It seems somewhat gray to me, I'd prefer to see it brighter and particularly the colors more intense.
BTW, love the DOF now!

Unfortunately I shot this @ 31mm, so I had to crank down the exposure comp to keep from blowing the highlights.

Had I shot it closer to 75mm I could have been farther away and probably had a better result.

More likely if I knew what I was doing with a flash it would have worked better. :wink:

And there is just the smallest hint of purple, even in the large petals. They aren't pure white, though it's pretty darn close I imagine.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll pull the RAW file and see if I can adjust the exposure a bit to get the colors a bit brighter and not blow them out.

I love the exposure and composition. But I hate the cropping. The problem is that the pic is so interesting...that I'm let down I can't see all of the flower. I need some resolution... :oops:

Ok, one reason I cropped this so drastically was because the flash shadow cut off the stalk, which looks weird. Cropped as closely as it was it was less of an issue.

This is a crop of the original, which was in landscape orientation. I left the whole flower on this one, and brightened it up some, but there still isn't a true white without blowing it out.

Anyway...

iris_full.jpg

Most reactions

Back