Cropped versus Full

Goodo, I was going to say high ISO performance is where full frame cameras really shine on account of having a physically larger pixel to capture light. Beyond high ISO I would treat it as a function of depth of field and size/weight. Full frame naturally producing a narrower depth of field, and APS cameras assuming lenses are designed for them have smaller, lighter glass for the same type of lens.

Ok just a compare... Shot a weddign this weekend... I used my 24-70 on both bodies... BOTH had ISO 2000........
Both had exact settings... F 2.8 ss 320 ISO 2000
the 7D shown here has hardly ANY grain at all.....
crop.jpg

Shown below is a 100% crop SOOC of the 5DMII...
cropp.jpg

Again---SAME DAY SAME SETTINGS EXACTLY... SAME CAMERA Just a 100% crop..

Ok just a compare... Shot a weddign this weekend... I used my 24-70 on both bodies... BOTH had ISO 2000........
Both had exact settings... F 2.8 ss 320 ISO 2000
the 7D shown here has hardly ANY grain at all.....
Pardon me, but your EXIF data is calling you a liar.

Per the EXIF data, the top image was shot with the 5DMKII at ISO 160, f/5, 1/2000 sec., -2/3 EV.

The bottom image was also shot with 5DMKII, this time at ISO 2000, f/3.2, 1/160 sec., 0 EV.

Not only are they not the same settings, where's the 7D shot at all, let alone at the same settings and shown with at 100% with no editing please?
Again---SAME DAY SAME SETTINGS EXACTLY... SAME CAMERA Just a 100% crop..
Make up your mind please. If your intention is to show a 100% crop comparison of IQ between the two bodies, per your first statements in the post, this doesn't do it.

Someone's confused, and I don't think it's me.

so i read through this and heres my input. i know i know...

i learned to shoot digital mainly on nikon. i wouldnt say i got great but i got to a point where i was really happy with the end product. but i started noticing that i wanted higher quality, the 10mpx my d60 was putting out to me wasnt cutting it, so i decided i would upgrade. i looked at how much i would be able to spend, including buying new glass. i planned on sticking with nikon but a friend let me use his 50d. i was using his 70-200 2.8. and loved how it felt and performed. i was shooting drifting pictures at that point and as i was walking back to meet up with him i noticed some models and decided i wanted to see how it performed on people. he saw me shooting them and rushed over. stopped me and told me that if i was gonna shoot models that i should use his 5dmk2 with the same lens. i was asstounded by how great the combo was together. i knew little about ff cameras but after that i did my research and studied up on it. i bought the 5dmk2 knowing it was in my budget while still being able to buy lenses. imo if you have the money and enjoy photography, i dont care when people say you bought the equipment thinking itll make you better. if thats what they want to think then i let them think it. i bought the equipment cause i could afford it without eating ramen for 3 months straight. and because i love photography.
thats my input take it how you will.

OP, since you shoot mostly candids, I would suggest the crop body for the 1.6x reach you will get over the FF. This suggestion, however, might change if by 'and street stuff' you mean cityscapes which might require a really wide angle.

Most reactions

Back