Cropping 20D file for 8X10 print PLEASE HELP

BadRotation

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is there a program out there, or an easy way to crop off the bottom of a photo so it will fill an 8X10 print without the machine cutting parts off?

Basically I want to be able to easily crop a photo to the standard 8X10 aspect ratio WITHOUT LOSING ANY QUALITY AT ALL.

Basically here is what I am having problems with....

I want the following image to fit the standard 8X10 aspect ratio, I want to crop a tad bit off the top, and some off the bottom to make it fit.

img4084large3pi.jpg

Here is what I get when I got them printed.

The 4X6 looked perfect, and had no cropping, while the 8X10 had the head cut off...

I want to crop these images so the fuji machine doesnt need to crop anything.

img4103large5fb.jpg

I should add, I have photoshop CS, but am not too familiar with how to crop images to the correct aspect ration WITHOUT LOSING QUALITY OR RESAMPLING THE IMAGE.

There are several ways. My favorite way is as follows.

In CS open your photo, and then create a new document, which is 8x10, 300dpi. Go back to your original, select all (select/select all), copy (edit, copy), and then go to your new doc, and paste in. Now use the move tool (v) and move your photo around until you find a suitable crop. If the photo is not big enough, use free transform (ctrl-t, or edit / free transform) to enlarge it, and again, find a suitable crop.

There is a crop tool, in which you can set your dimensions. You can also set teh dimenesion of the marquee tool, and when you have your crop, go to image/crop.

Make sense?

well... they did everything they could. 8x10 is not in proportion to 4x6. This is much the same as shooting 35mm film. The formats are not the same as 8x10. They're shaped differently.

So, you have to be mindful of this while shooting. You have to imagine the area that needs to be cropped to make an 8x10.

You can create an action in Photoshop allowing you to make the crop in a single click, but it's gonna lop off the ends.

Sorry. I wish I had better news.

Good luck!

-Pete

ya, they did all they could do.

I work in a photolab, it is hard when people tell you what they want, and you just have to explain that the 4x5 AR of an 8x10 isn't the same as 4x6. If you want, most labs are capable of doing 8x12, which is the same AR as a 4x6. It is however, hard to find an 8x12 frame, you will mostlikely have to get a mat to fit it in a bigger frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back